Sunday, May 26, 2013

Even the mannequin was dissed!

Since this blog site was just started yesterday, I still have a few things I need to catch up on.  Don't worry, slowly but surely I will catch up on all the news.  I've been wanting to add my take to a subject that was stirred in Sweden about their H&M using a size 12 mannequin.

Now, I'm not a size 12, but personally, I think it would be pretty cool to see a mannequin in a store that resembles an average size woman and not one that people starve themselves to look like.  I'm just saying.  It's my own opinion and since you have your own, you probably don't agree.  Also, just in case you haven't seen the photo, I have placed it here for you to view.  

  
Now, other than the fact that the lingerie looks purple to me (I don't like purple - LOL), I think this mannequin looks pretty good.  It shows a "healthy" mannequin that seems to look cute just the way it is.  I hope that "healthy" women look at the mannequin and see that as well.  I hope they see they are cute just how they are.  Again, I'm not a size 12, but I'm finally at a place where I can embrace my curves and know that I am fine just the way I am.  Even though I am in the process of losing weight, I am never going to be a size skinny and I will always be considered plus size.  However, as long as I'm comfortable with who and what I am, which is a curvaceous diva, that is all that really matters.  

Now, of course there were critics, but the one that got on my nerves the most was the one where people said this mannequin encouraged obesity and unhealthy lifestyles.  What the hell?  Seriously, that the best you have to throw at us?  We've been looking at size 0 through 6 mannequins for years and how many times have you heard an outcry from us plus divas saying that your mannequins encourage anorexia / bulimia and unhealthy lifestyles?  For years we have looked at your size 0 through 6 mannequins and felt bad because even though our bigger sizes were sold in the store, there was not a true representation of what the item would look like on our body shapes.  Did you ever really hear us complain about that?  I know I didn't.  I just go with how I always do, I try the article on and if it looks good, it comes home and if it doesn't back to the rack it goes.  No big deal.  However, the one time that someone tries to make us (as in us larger beauties) feel better about going into a store with a mannequin our size, you (as in the size 0 to 6 people) want to start an outcry about it being unhealthy.  

Let me tell you what is unhealthy.  Unhealthy is refusing to eat because you want to look like the tiny mannequin.  Unhealthy is throwing up a perfectly decent meal and taking off the enamel on your teeth to look like the tiny mannequin.  I've said it once and I will say it again, just because we are a bit more plump, it doesn't mean that we are not unhealthy.  I know skinny people that have health problems that people think I should have because of my size. Jokes on you! 

To H&M in Sweden, thank you for having a backbone and deciding to think outside the box.  You are truly appreciated for your efforts and it has not gone unnoticed.  I wonder how long it will take for other stores to follow in your footsteps or will you be out there on your own?  Even if the latter is the case, that is perfectly fine.  It's more fun being an individual anyway instead of following the crowd.  

No comments:

Post a Comment