Saturday, May 25, 2013

The Introduction

I cannot believe I am taking this leap of faith and confidence.  Faith, I think we can all understand.  Confidence, well, I'm just learning to step into mine and it gets stronger each day.  As I sit in the floor writing this first post for this page, there is so much that I can and want to say, but I don't want to bore you.  Instead, I want you to be so intrigued that you cannot wait to see what I post.  I told my really amazing friend, who is more like my sister (but she has managed to turn into my publicist) that I felt like this blog was my official coming out party.  No, I'm not a lesbian, but I'm coming as a proud, plus size woman.  Now, don't get me wrong, I know there are still going to be some low confidence days, but at this moment, as I write this, I am so happy to be who I am because it is giving me the chance to share my experiences with you.  What experiences?  I have plenty to share.  It's just what I do!  

Let me take this time for properly introduce myself.  I am Shayla Em (of course that is not my government name).  I am known for my writing.  I got my start with Vyzion Entertainment and I am still there, but I am also evolving into a more specific writing where I think I can make and be a positive change in someones live.  I am also a pop-culture and fashion contributor for Manik Mag (www.manikmag.com).  I haven't been in this role as lone, but I am finding my place and loving the creative freedom that has been given to me and what I do.  

Writers like me cannot be kept in a bubble because we will not survive.  Too many rules will suffocate us and not allow us to reach our full potential.  That is why I also love to blog, which is why you see me here.  This is my third (yes third) blog.  I love my other two for various reasons, but this one is special to me because it's me showing how proud I am to be a full-figured woman.  Since being in the plus world is the main focus of this blog, that is what you are going to see me talk about most.  

I'm no longer ashamed to talk about my struggle with my weight.  I am no longer afraid to talk about my love life, or my lack there of.  Now, I still struggle with talking about sex and other things people deem as private, but I plan on breaking out of that shell too!  Why shouldn't I talk about things like that?  I may be of a bigger variety, but I am just as much of a woman as the smaller chick standing beside of me.  Also, I will not be bashing my smaller counterparts because I have plenty of skinny friends that love me the way I am.  They love me and I love them.  

Will I mention some celebrities on here?  Of course, that is what I do.  However, I will always tell the truth (as I know it) and be as positive as I can be.  Positive?  Yes, it is important for me to remain positive because people look at us and automatically think the worst because we are not as small as them.  Let me give you an fyi about me, I am the size I am and I do not have any major health problems, except asthma.  According to my parents, I have had asthma since I was a baby and I was born at a normal size, so we cannot blame asthma on me weight.  Plus, according to some of the older generations of my family, it is genetic so me growing out of it was not even an option.  

Then there is this other thing I am working on.  I'm not ready to share it yet, but eventually I will.  How did that get started?  Well, I was approached about it sometime last year and I started working to try to make it happen since someone saw potential in me.  I've been on a mission every since and something really exciting is happening in September.  Don't worry, when the time comes, I will do my best to post photos.  

Have I skipped anything?  I'm sure I have, but feel free to ask questions.  In all comments, be respectful and know that you are not the only person with an opinion.  

No comments:

Post a Comment