Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Baggage is to weight as weight is to ______________

I woke up this morning to learn that being obese is considered to be a disease now.  Well, since I still need time for that to sink in, I will talk about that later.  However, as I went on through my day, that new fact didn't annoy me.  In fact, it made me kind of sad.  I felt like, once again, we plus size beauties were being lumped (no pun intended) into yet another category that probably doesn't even begin to tell you our stories.  

Take me for example.  I have my own story.  If you haven't had the opportunity, take this moment to go read Body Prison (http://theplusdiaries.blogspot.com/2013/06/body-prison.html).  Body Prison gives you my full story, up until this time last year.  I'm working on a new story now.  This blog will be waiting for you to get back.  

Great - you're back.  Well, if you didn't go read it, make sure you do at the end of this post.  

The one thing you see from Body Prison is the broad story of my life.  What you did not see is one of the main reasons I am the size I am today.  I won't lie, I thought I was ready to tell you the entire story, but the fact of the matter is I am not.  One day I will be though.  However, let's just say an event happened in my life several years ago and it forever changed me.  No one should have to go through that and I don't wish that type of pain on my worst enemy.  This event could have and probably should have killed me, but it wasn't my time to leave this planet yet.  

The thing is, that event was so traumatic that the only thing that made me feel whole was to be heavy.  I kept the weight I was and put on more because weight made me feel complete.  Weight didn't make me feel happy, but it kept people away from me so that I could have time to deal with the event.  

Well, last year, it was like my mind said let go.  So when that phrase kicked in, I started to do just that.  I begin to let go of the weight by working out, eating healthier, basically changing my lifestyle with food.  In fact, I am smaller now that I was before the event happened.  

What am I trying to say?  No matter if it is genetics, an event, or something else that a person doesn't have control over at that moment, baggage can literally be a weight on your shoulders and the rest of your body.  You owe it to yourself to let go.  It's not the easiest process and it may take years - mine took 7 (which is the number of completion, but the way).  The point is that when I was ready and when I knew that it was time, without anyone forcing it upon me, things started to change.  

You know what is going on with you better than anyone around you.  You will know when you are ready to let go.  Trust me, if you try to do it before you are ready, it is actually going to make you feel worse.  Take it from me, I've been there.  I only tell you things I know to be true because I have experienced them.  Your experience is going to be different from mine and that is perfectly fine.  What matters is that you make it to where you want and need to be.  



Don't pick up extra baggage.  You already have enough of your own you are trying to get rid of.  I promise you when you make that decision, you will be glad you did.  Whatever event has you hiding behind your weight, when you are ready, just let go.  You will look back on that time and laugh because you will realize that all the trouble you went through to gain the weight is not worth the trouble you are having now to lose it and keep it off.  Skip the baggage claim area and just keep walking until you reach your version of freedom.  When you get there, no matter what may be thrown at you, there will always be blue skies ahead.  It may be a bit turbulent, but make it up in your mind that crashing is not an option.  

No comments:

Post a Comment