Sunday, July 21, 2013

A new type of feeling

For those people really close to me, they know that I am a clothing fanatic.  My closet is not as messy as it used to be because I cleaned it out a few weeks ago, but it is ridiculous.  My shoe game is getting better and they are in their boxes, but not the flip flops (except the ones from Guess).  Over the past few months, my fashion game has picked up because for the first time in my adult life, I feel comfortable enough in my skin to wear fashionable clothes instead of hide myself.

I went shopping yesterday at Ashley Stewart and I took the sizes I am accustomed to wearing to try on.  To my surprise (pleasant that is), everything I took to try on was too big.  In fact, they had to grab a pair of pants off the mannequin for me so that I could bring those home.  It was a great feeling and I feel like I've accomplished something.  I'm not wear I want to be, weight wise, yet, but I am working on it on a daily basis.  However, this post isn't about weight - it's about my clothing change.

With my weight loss, my style of clothing has definitely changed.  I'm no longer afraid to wear skinny jeans and I'm wearing more than plain leggings.  I've even decided to start wearing jeggings (bought my first pair yesterday during my shopping adventures).  So, let me tell you a little something about the jeggings, since I am just under 5'4", I have to get them altered.  Well, I was afraid to buy them because I didn't want to mess them up.  A few weeks ago, I found someone that could alter them correctly, so now I will be buying more.  Another thing I have embraced is that I can wear print bottoms.  I pay attention to what other people wear, not to necessarily follow their style but because I just like clothes and I like to see what people pair together.  Well, I see more fuller plus divas wearing print and if it is done correctly, they look awesome in their ensemble.  In other words, they gave me the encouragement, in their own way, for me to break out of my shell.

 My shoe game has truly stepped up.  Because of a knee injury a few years ago, I am very careful about wearing heels and will wear a pair or wedges before I even think about trying on a pair of heals.  However, due to that injury, wedges even made me think twice.  However, with their not being as much weight on my knees, I feel better about wearing wedges.  I feel more balanced and more stable in them now.  I think I was stable in them all along, but I just didn't have the confidence to go along with the stability.  Now I have them both.  

I admit, there are some days that I am really feeling myself now.  It didn't used to be like that.  However, there is nothing wrong with me being confident.  I spent so many years hiding myself, but I'm so ready to explore what life has to offer me, in my own way.  I love life and I refuse to let my size keep me from it anymore.  I'm not perfect, but my imperfections make me the best me that I can possibly be.  I'm alright with that.  The best part is now, that I have clothes to match that personality.  

No comments:

Post a Comment