Monday, July 8, 2013

Let me give you the skinny...

During the holiday weekend, I got the pleasure of spending some time with someone I haven't chilled with in a long time and of course, we had a few of our great conversations.  So, we went to a subject that we had never dared talk about, but our more mature minds were ready to handle.  

Size had never been an object to us.  However, she did tell me that she was proud of my weight loss.  Quiet as it is kept, I am too.  But, we got to the subject of skinny jeans.  She asked me if I wore skinny jeans.  With my usual antics, I proudly proclaimed yes.  I would have let her see me in mine, but I didn't have them on that particular day.  She admitted that she was self-conscious about wearing them.  She also told me that she had asked another plus diva about wearing them and she said her response was, "whether you wear them or not, people are still going to talk about you".  I don't know who this girl is, but I like her style.  

She made a very valid point.  No matter what plus divas wear, we are still going to get talked about.  They are going to talk about how we look no matter how fashionable our clothes are.  They are going to talk about how big our thighs are, but we can rock some skinny jeans and leggings like the best of them.  (Yep, put me in a pair of print leggings and you cannot tell me anything).  Give me a mini skirt and I will do the same thing.  People are also going to talk about our tummys, but we know how to camouflage, if we do it right.  People are going to talk about our arms, but that's alright - I still wear sleeveless dresses.  

Point is, whether plus or skinny, someone is going to talk to you.  Although I used to think that skinny people were hard on us, I'm starting to think that our fellow plus divas are just as mean.  The fact of the matter is that we cannot expect for others to embrace us when we, as a plus community, do not embrace each other.  

So, as long as it looks good on your and you feel comfortable enough in your own skin to wear it, I think you should rock whatever outfit you want.  Now, I will be the first to admit, I cannot bring myself to wear shorts, unless I am hanging out around my place.  In fact, I tried on a pair of shorts over the weekend and even though the outfit was cute, I still couldn't bring myself to buy them.  Yes, shorts are my nemesis right now.  I know my truth and there is no fault in you knowing yours.  Don't let someone force you to wear something you are not cool with wearing.  When I'm ready, I'll put on a pair of shorts.   

Being plus size is not just how you look, but it is an attitude and it should be a POSITIVE attitude.  There is nothing wrong with you.  You are beautiful just how you are and never let anyone tell you different.  So, if you have a more positive attitude while you are wearing skinny jeans, go for it!  You only get to travel through this life once.  If you want to express yourself in and with your clothes, so be it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment