Thursday, August 29, 2013

Downsizing...

I've been noticing a lot of posts, other than my own, about plus size people losing weight and making better life choices.  I've been very vocal about my weight loss.  I'm very proud of myself.  In fact, I am happy to tell you that this month, I've lost a little over 4 pounds.  I know that some of you may be cheering for me and excited, just like I'm excited for another friend of mine who reported today she is down 4 jean sizes.  However, I also know there are just as many people hating the progress I've made.  

I don't understand that.  For those of us trying to lose weight, we know it's a battle.  It's a daily battle.  Then when we try to share it with other people and they act like they don't care, it sort of let's you know who is with you.  For instance, if you tell one of your smaller friends, they could be secretly in their mind thinking but you're the token big girl friend.  Then if you tell a fellow plus diva, they could be secretly thinking she think she cute just because she is losing weight.  It has nothing to do with either of those things.  

For me, it's about being healthy.  There are several health issues that run on both sides of my family (high blood pressure, diabetes, etc.) and I want to make sure I have the best body (not aesthetically, but physically) that can fight all of these issues and more  Do I like the smaller sizes and the compliments?  Of course!  What human doesn't like to be complimented.  However, those don't mean as much to me but when my doctor tells me things are looking better on the chart because I decided to make a change, that is the best compliment of them all.  

Why hate on their progress?  You do not know why the person who is sharing their journey with you is making the effort to lose weight.  They could be losing weight for health issues.  They could be losing weight because they are sick and they have no choice.  They could be losing weight to look better and feel better about themselves.  

The point is this - stop throwing shade at people who are trying to do something to better themselves.  This is the thing - the same person you are not supporting has probably supported you through a lot of things, including some things you would rather forget.  Let them have their moment because you don't know when they will get another moment to shine.  

So, the next time one of your friends tell you about their weight loss, celebrate with them.  Be proud of them.  Give them praise for their success.  Don't worry about them taking anything away from you.  One day you are going to want or deserve to be praised and I'm pretty sure if they are a true friend, they will support you just the same.  

Just a final thought - if you have people in your circle that are not supportive, maybe it's time to make a smaller circle or a new circle.  If you find yourself being one of those negative people, you might want to change your ways if you don't want to end up on the outside of the circle.  

No comments:

Post a Comment