Sunday, August 11, 2013

Love is (supposed to be) blind

Any of us that have been to a wedding or even opened the Bible is probably familiar with the Love Chapter.  The title of this post has a little something to do with that, even though it is not directly stated in the chapter.  



The story I read was actually a local news story about a blind couple whose dogs liked to play with each other.  They would meet on the dog dates and those eventually turned into dates for them.  They fell in love and are planning a wedding for sometime next year (their guide dogs will help them both get down the aisle). 

After reading that story, I couldn't help but think love is actually blind in this situation (don't laugh because I'm being very serious).  They can't see each other so they depend on their other 4 senses to do the work.  I could focus on all 5 senses, but the three that stick out in this situation (in my opinion) are the senses of hearing, touch, and sight.  How does sight play a role if they are blind?  Just let me get this entire thought out and if you follow along, I am sure you will figure this out.  

Let me start with the one that is probably going to be strange for you - touch.  I understand they can hold hands, but what about touching their hearts?  Something had to do that in order for them to fall in love.  Something had to touch their soul in order for them to begin to love each other.  Love isn't a thing that just happens.  Love takes time and the literal and figurative sense of touch has to happen in order for that to occur.  No, I'm not talking about sex either (I'll save that for a different post).  However, how great would it be for someone to look past your faults and your past and love you because of how you have touched their soul and their heart?

Then there comes the sense of hearing.  There were some days I felt like I talked to my ex that I was blue in the face.  I know that he was listening, but I'm not exactly sure if he was hearing what I was trying to tell him.  In fact, I'm pretty positive he wasn't really hearing me because we are no longer together.  Ladies, and some guys too, I know you get tired to talking to people and what you say seems to fall on deaf ears.  For instance, I keep telling a friend of mine that I actually care about to stop doing these disappearing acts because that doesn't work well for me.  He apologizes (so he was listening), but he keeps doing it over and over again (which means he didn't actually hear what I was saying).  People say listening to women is difficult, but I beg to differ.  Did it ever occur to you if you actually took the time to listen to the woman in your life and hear what they were really saying, you would actually learn a lot from them and not have to worry about them straying or straight up leaving?  The more you listen, the more you learn.  Just a thought....


Even though the couple who inspired this post cannot physically see each other, they are blessed with a gift only a few people with actually sight have - the ability to be able to see to the soul.  Physically, they are blind, but the fact they are not able to look at the physical flaws of the other person or see photos of a mysterious and interesting past makes their love deeper.  They have no basis to say because I see you used to do this, I cannot be with you.  People change.  However, the greatest thing is this - they cannot look at each other and judge each other based solely on appearance.  

That's the problem many of us have today - we are so quick to judge another person based on looks alone that we are missing out on something.  It doesn't have to be a relationship, but it could be an interesting story, a friendship, etc.  You might even be missing out on the person that can bring you out of your current situation, but you are missing out on it because you are too shallow to see what is right in front of you.  

I don't know about you, but I feel like that each day I am not in the comfort and protection of my home.  My home is safe and the only person in there that can make me feel bad about myself is me.  However, once I step out, I have to deal with snickers and facial expressions that say she's too big for me.  I've learned to stay to myself and let people come to me because me stepping to people has turned out extremely tragic.  I always end up getting my feelings hurt, but that has also given me a thicker (no pun intended) skin.  

Because people have a tendency to judge me based on my size alone, people miss out on interesting conversations (I have a weird mind) and people miss out on the chance for me to touch their lives (because I am a giver).  The fact of the matter, we are all made differently.  Some of us are big, some are little.  Some of us are short and some are tall.  No matter the outward difference, the fact of the matter is that we all have a purpose and we are supposed to connect on a deeper level than physical appearance.  Fall in love because the other person touched your soul and because you actually heard what they were saying.  Why?  Keep living long enough and your looks will change and their are some things that money and a good surgeon cannot fix.  


No comments:

Post a Comment