Friday, September 6, 2013

Color wars

Well, ladies and gentlemen, last weekend (Labor Day weekend) marked the unofficial end to the summer season.  You know what that means, right?  The end of the fun, impromptu outdoor cookouts.  The end of those long days by the pool.  The end of summer vacations.  The end of the overall fun that was had by all.  Now, if you are strictly a fashionista (or fashionisto - male version), you are probably thinking Labor Day marks the last day you can wear white.  Well, I am telling you right now I BEG TO DIFFER!!!

So, let me go ahead and get this little disclaimer out the way because I don't want y'all (yes, I'm Southern born and bred) thinking that I am talking about the color white like I wear it all the time.  Personally, I don't think I look good in white.  Nope, not because I'm not pure or anything (I figured I would get that out the way too), but because I really don't think it fits my skin tone.  In fact, I have even told people that if (big IF) I ever make that walk down the aisle, I will be in a cream dress (other colors to be disclosed in the future, near or far).  However, I will say about 3 years ago, I heard a fashion contributor say plus size women should not wear white bottoms (jean, skirts, etc.).  Keep in mind, this comment was coming from someone who wouldn't be plus size if you put 3 of them together.  

I have never been a fan of wearing the color, but I have seen plus size divas (and some of our smaller counterparts) that are simply a vision in white.  I don't think it is for me, but hey, I know my truth.  A few months ago, I had a photo shoot with a really cool photographer from my area and I decided to try wearing white capri pants.  While the photo looked great, I just did not think I looked great in white.  However, give me a white background and throw a splash of color(s) on there, you have yourself a deal!  Just in case you were wondering, yes that is really me in the photo.  I know you don't get the chance to see the person behind the words often, so consider this a special treat.

The point it this plus divas, I don't care if someone tells you not to wear white or if the holiday tells you not to wear white, if it is your style, ALWAYS rock your style.  Your style shows off your personality and, whether or not you believe it, style gives you a certain bit of life.  If it is your choice, go grab all the white in your closet and put it on and own that ish.  It's what you are supposed to do.  You never know, you might start a new trend like only white after Labor Day.  Ok, let me not get your hopes up because it would take more than one season for that to happen.  However, just be you.  If white is your new fall and winter color, then so be it.  Truthfully, there is a possibility of you looking better in white after Labor Day than some people look in traditional fall colors.  Hey, don't be mad at me - I'm just making a statement from an observation.  


No comments:

Post a Comment