Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Growing Up Plus

I had the idea for this post last night and I really wanted to write it.  I just had one big, major problem - I didn't have my laptop.  Luckily, my computer guru buddy only took one night to fix my baby and quickly got me back to doing what I love.  So, here we go.  

As you all know, I get inspired from so many people around me.  It can be what they have on, their personalities, the overheard conversations, just anything that happens around me.  Well, the inspiration for this post actually came from the tweet chat #HautiesTalk that was held by ManikMag (@manikmag, www.manikmag.com) on last night.  It's so neat to talk about things that are going on in the "plus community" and not feel bad or be ridiculed about it.  The one thing I really took notice of last night is the fact that there are so many more outlets for us plus diva today.  

When I was growing up, I felt like I had to dress older than what I was.  I had to shop in the smallest size of the adult store because "junior plus" wasn't popular back then.  I felt like my friends had all the trendy clothes and I was stuck with whatever my mom could find that she thought fit me.  Please note, my dad has never been one to buy me clothes because he said that I always had a different sense of style.  

There was really not a safe place to talk about being plus size.  Even when you tried to talk about it, the only thing people seemed to be able to say was "lose weight".  It's not that simple.  Even when the weight comes off, there comes the struggle of learning to live in a new body and facing the fact that people are going to look at your different because you are smaller.  Then you have those that are going to hate on you because you lost weight and you are starting to look better than them.  It's like we cannot win.  

I'm so thankful that I was able to grow up in a time where it was so hard because now I can appreciate the things that I see now.  I'm happy to see changes in how we are looked at because if I am blessed enough to have a daughter in the future and she grows up a little bit thick, she won't have to go through what I went through.  In fact, I would like to say I had a hand in the change.  Believe it or not, so did you.  How?  Well, I decided to write about it and you took the time to read about it.  I spread my thoughts to you and hopefully, you share what you have read with others.  That's being part of a movement.  

The funny part is, in the 50s and 60s, having a little meat on you was cute and sexy.  I wonder who in that generation can tell me when that changed?  

No comments:

Post a Comment