Tuesday, August 5, 2014

The art of the photo

Alright, so this post has been a few weeks in the making.  I went to the Timberlake concert a few weeks ago and I had really amazing seats, but that is not what this is about.  There were 2 teens and a parent sitting in front of me.  Well, before the show started, everyone was taking pics and talking to everyone around them.  The two teens in front of me were trying to take a selfie (or an usie for you people that want to make it plural).  Neither of them really liked the photo so they asked the mom to take a photo.  These young ladies were not the same size and it is what came out of the mouth of the "bigger" one that made my heart sink.  

She looked at her friend and said, "Don't stand like that because that is going to make me look twice as big as you."  My heart broke and I wanted to tell her that she was beautiful, but I didn't know how to approach the situation since she was a total stranger.  Then I thought, if I have a daughter that is considered a plus diva, will I be able to tell her she is beautiful without hesitation?  I don't have any children right now and I love to give compliments and confidence to the children of my friends, but why can't I give those same things to a total stranger?

I have thought about this for weeks and I wish I would have said something to her.  Her dress was cute.  She had a beautiful smile and she seemed to have a huge personality.  Quite frankly, I think she was more adorable then her smaller friend.  Unfortunately, she didn't see that for herself and that is the part that hurts the most.  

When are we going to allow our young ladies to feel amazing, no matter their size?  We really need to lift each other up, instead of tearing each other down.  I really hope this young lady will see how beautiful she is one day and I hope it is soon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment