Thursday, September 11, 2014

I will never forget

For me to have such a way with numbers, it's hard for people to believe me when I tell them that I don't remember the exact time.  However, I can remember where I was.  I was 16.  A junior in high school.  Sitting in Spanish class watching the towers fall.  That was second period.  Then there was lunch.  Third period came and I remember our teacher just let us sit there and work on an assignment, but we could take it home to finish if we wanted to watch the coverage.  Fourth period came and that meant having to leave to go to a different campus.  Living so close to a metropolitan area and less than an hour away from an airport, it was very weird to be outside and not see a plane in the sky.  My dad picked me up from school (he didn't buy me a car until 5 days later) and we talked and with him having a military background, he just knew that we were getting ready to go to war.  My mom finally got home from work and she hugged me tighter than she ever did before.  As a family, we sat up late and watched the coverage.  

The next morning, I went off to school and first period was history class.  The sad irony is that the day before, history had changed.  The announcements came on and I remember people crying during the Pledge of Allegiance.  I also remember someone who had never said it with the class standing with us.  It was time to go to second period and unlike the day before, time didn't seem to stand still.  

That's my 9/11 story.  What's yours?  

No comments:

Post a Comment