Monday, October 26, 2015

"Waisted" Battle

I cannot remember which post I wrote about this in, but I am pretty sure I discussed the madness with my waist trainer.  If you don't wish to go find it, let me give you a reduced version.  

Here it goes - I like my waist trainer, but it doesn't like me.  It I keep it on too long, say 4 hours (or even 2, depending on how my body is feeling), I have a reaction to the material.  I break out in horrible hives.  I start itching horribly.  Basically, if I keep it on too long, I'm absolutely miserable.  

Ok, back to today.  I love my waist trainer...for working out!  I only work out for approximately an hour, so my body can take the madness of the waist trainer for that long.  However, I will admit, as soon as I get finished working out, that thing comes off.  Like seriously, I feel like I want to rip it off of me.  I absolutely cannot take it!  And the "ripping it off" statement is exactly why I'm writing.  

About a month ago, there was a meme making it's way around Facebook (and probably other social media sites) that used a gorilla (I think) in a sitting position with the caption what your girl looks like when she takes off the waist trainer.  Did I chuckle?  Yes.  Did it hurt?  Yes.

The person posting the meme has had her own issues with weight and she has worked really hard to get to a smaller size and keep it off.  However, I also wondered why she felt the need to post that when people once thought of her in the same light?  The thing is, no matter how much "better" you get, it is important to not forget where you came from - whether it means going from a slum neighborhood to the richest neighborhood in the city, getting a promotion at work, or going from a size 26 to a 6.

Don't get me wrong, I laugh at memes because there are some days when I just need a good laugh.  On the other hand, when I take a moment to get in the other shoes, I feel bad for laughing.  Honestly, I think if people took the time to really think about what they were posting, the majority of the things we see on social media wouldn't exist.  

We (yes, including myself) add fuel to the bullies.  We laugh at their jokes.  We share their memes.  We forget about us being in those shoes in the not so distant past.  So why would we post something that used to hurt our own feelings just to get a laugh?  

It's time for us to start spreading love on social media.  Post something positive.  Give someone an encouraging word.  Send a thoughtful message.  But can we please stop with the cyber bullying?  Yes, that is actually what it is.  

Don't call me sensitive.  I'm cool with my skin and I have worked very hard to be like that.  Do I work out?  Yes!  I worked out a few hours ago.  Do I watch what I eat?  Yes!  Is it a battle for me to lose weight and keep it off?  Yes.  But here is the thing - not everyone is comfy in their skin.  I just learned how to be.  However, for every one person comfy in their skin, there are probably another 5 who work each day to lose weight and they feel like they are never doing enough.  To some women, that meme could have ended their lives.  Is that really a responsibility or burden you want to bear?

No comments:

Post a Comment