Thursday, December 10, 2015

Favorite show to date

During my day, I keep on a certain radio show.  They make me laugh and the show plays all day long, along with some other things on their app.  I can honestly say that I love them and today they had a really interesting conversation.  I wasn't sure where they were going to go because none of them are really qualified to talk about the topic (we'll get to that later), but I did like the twist they put on it to make it fit for everyone!  

I know you are curious, so yes I will tell you the show.  I listen to the Ace and TJ Show (@TheAceTJShow).  Well, at 10am EST on their app, they do More Show After the Show.  This is 30 minutes when they just let go and let it happen.  Today, one of the topics they took on were rather interesting because, as I said before, none of them are really qualified to talk about the topic.  However, I loved the twist they put on it and it made perfect sense!!!  
One of the topics were concerning the fat shaming that Lane Bryant has found themselves involved in.  I won't get too involved with it in this post because it is all over the internets (you have to listen to the show to understand internets).  However, real quick, the deal is the "I'm no angel" campaign from Lane Bryant has taken an interesting turn because many fellow plus divas believe that although the models are plus size models, they are not true representatives of the bodies of some of us in the "real world".  

As far as I am concerned, I do agree that the models being used by Lane Bryant do not look like me.  I have a bit more skin in my tummy area, but yet I wear a size 16 or 18.  I'm not sure, but I think one of their models is a size 16, but she is also taller than me and we do not have the same body.  However, I'm not mad at how she or any of those models look.  I'm just glad there are plus size people making it in the modeling industry because in the not so recent past, that wasn't even a possibility.  

Keep in mind, I did say that we don't have the same body.  I didn't say she was ugly because she didn't look like me or that I hated her body, I said I'm not mad at how any of them look.  The girl on the Ace and TJ Show, Lindsay, she made a really solid comment.  She said something to the effect of, "I don't look like the Victoria's Secret models".  My ears were already perked up because Lindsay is a former NBA dancer and is not plus size.  On the other hand, she is a beautiful young woman.  Depending on what you heard, you either heard a smaller chick telling us bigger chicks to take a chill pill or you heard a smaller chick tell everyone, we're not all supposed to look alike.  I heard the latter.  

Ladies, big and small, or whatever size definition you wish to identify with (curvy, chunky, skinny, etc), can we please for one day just celebrate the fact that no matter how different our bodies look, they are pretty powerful?!  We can give birth and walk around the same day.  How awesome is that?!  We are awesome beings, but you would never know it because we spend so much time tearing each other down.  

In this blog, even though geared towards plus size women, I like to celebrate everyone.  I love to talk about my skinny friends because they like to go shopping with me in some of my exclusively plus size stores.  Most important, I love to talk about my smaller friends because they love me for me - not because of my size, but because of my brains, my willingness to help, and the fact I love them too.  

One of these days, and I hope it is really soon, we will get along and accept each other.  That day cannot come until we learn to accept ourselves.  This leads me to TJ.  

TJ is very honest and what comes to his brain comes out of his mouth.  It's awesome!  Today, he made a very valid point about the words we use.  We have taken all these words to describe plus size women - plus size, curvy, fat, chunky, chubby, and whatever else - but we do not have a clear definition of what each word is.  Is fat someone a certain height and higher than a certain weight?  Is curvy someone with a certain breast, waist, hips ratio?  Is chunky someone who wears a certain size?  This is madness!!!  Just in case you were wondering, I define myself as me.  Depending on how I feel that day, I may feel fat after having a really awesome meal.  Depending on what outfit I have on, I may feel curvy because it shows off my curves. On my social media sites, I say I'm plus size.  I even say I am a plus size blogger (#psblogger).  Seriously, you can see the name of this blog itself and see I how primarily identify myself.  

I'm not hating on Lane Bryant or any of its models.  Personally, I think Ashley Graham is beautiful and I am so proud of her an the work she has done as a model.  I wish I had her confidence.  And that is all it takes - CONFIDENCE!!!  Be confident enough in yourself and love yourself enough to stop looking down on people.  We all have one goal - to get through this life the best way we can.  With everything going on in the world around me right now, body shaming is very low on my list of things to do.  Right now, I'm just trying to be the best me.  Some of you need to give that a try - you might like where it takes you!   

No comments:

Post a Comment