Friday, January 29, 2016

Just a girl!

Many years ago, a group named Aqua came out with a song called Barbie Girl.  You can find the song here ~~> Barbie Girl by Aqua.  Rather interesting and catchy song that made millions.  In fact, if I go back to my parents' house, I'm pretty sure the CD is somewhere in my room.  Do you think it's funny I liked a song that had absolutely nothing to do with me?

Well, let's think about this - how come so many of us have liked the actual doll that has looked nothing like any of us for all these years?  It has been long said the measurements of the Barbie doll in human sizes were impossible.  Now, other than those few who have taken the knife to try to look like Barbie and Ken (and have still failed in my opinion), no one has even come close.  So, when I started seeing the cover for Time on my Instagram this week, I felt a little bit better.  

I have my collection of African-American Barbie and I've played with Caucasian Barbie in school, but neither of them ever looked like me, and it went way beyond race.  I've never been skinny.  I'll never be skinny.  The smaller I get, the less proportioned my body looks and I start seeing myself in an unhealthy way that say gain weight!  I've been a size 12 and I wasn't cute.  I can tolerate me being in a size 14.  However, I have found I am most comfortable at a size 16.  Let's go a little bit further.  

I'm just under 5'4".  I'm taller than one of my aunts when she wears heels.  I'm considered petite.  I wear size short when buying jeans at Old Navy.  I'm fine with that.  It's just how I was made.  If I buy jeans from other stores that do not carry petite, I have to get them altered.  There is a particular store I buy from where I have to take all my jeans to get altered before I wear them.  Fit in the waist, but even my highest of heels don't do the job to keep them off the ground.  It just it what it is.  

Let's not even get started on my hair.  Even my African-American Barbie had long straight hair.  Even with a perm, my hair has never been long that just below my shoulders.  I used to cut my doll's hair so that she would look more like me.  Today, I'm natural.  I love my fro and I wish I had made the decision a long time ago, but I've been going strong for over 3 years now and I don't see me going back to processed hair.  

So, if I'm an adult and this excited about a doll looking like me, I wonder what a child is thinking?  Finally, something other than custom made American Girl dolls.  Even my Addy doll fro American Girl had long hair!  

To see Barbie with some curves is awesome!  To see a petite Barbie is awesome.  To see a Barbie with my grade of hair is awesome.  And the new clothes - I love!!!  Honestly, it took too long for Barbie to catch up.  Many will argue they are only doing this because their sales have taken a hit over the past few years.  However, I would like to think they actually saw the light and cared enough about the body image being portrayed and that made someone say hmmmm....let's do something a little different.  I like different.  I like to embrace different.  
Now, you know there are some critics that are saying should not have messed with the original.  Well, the original Barbie still exists and if that is what you like, go for it.  But don't you dare take away something from me because it doesn't look like you.  Quite frankly, you don't even look like the original Barbie so why are you so upset about the changes?

It taking baby steps, but plus size people are finally getting to a point where they feel welcomed in this world!  To the companies that are doing their best to roll out the welcome mat, THANK YOU!  Yeah, we have a long ways to go, but this little bit has definitely gone a long way.  


No comments:

Post a Comment