Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Undercover

Well, first thing this morning when I get to work, someone said something to me that inspired this post.  I wasn't even in my office.  In fact, I was in the hallway - pocketbook and lunch box on my shoulders.  However, it was really cool to get some morning inspiration.  

I like cold weather, but I know to dress appropriately in the cold weather.  Today, in my town, we basically had two seasons in one day - this morning it was Winter and then this afternoon, it was Spring.  Since it was winter this morning, I decided to wear my favorite beanie.  

My coworker has seen me in my beanie before, but this morning she said is your head cold?  I laughed and shook my head.  But it made me think bad to a time, not so long ago, when I would cover as much of myself as I could because I didn't know how I felt about my body.  

Today, it is so amazing to see these ladies (and guys) celebrating how they look - love handles and all.  Now, I'm not there yet and probably will never be comfy enough to take a photo in my gorgeous Lane Bryant underwear (unless I'm under contract) and plaster is all on social media, but I applaud the people who are there.  Why do I applaud them and not say ew, gross?  It's simple - it's because I know the journey it takes to get there.  Notice, I didn't say I know their journey, I said I knew the journey.  I know it because I'm currently on that path myself.  

It's not something that happens over night and it you want me to be quite honest, it is not something that is going to happen in a matter of months.  However, with hard work (yep, it's just like exercising), you can and you will learn to love yourself.  

I have to mention someone in this post.  It's not something that I do often because I always feel weird about mentioning people I don't know or have never really even interacted with on social media.  The beautiful Whitney Way Thore (@WhitneyWay) posted a photo to her Instagram account last week of her in a two-piece on the beach.  I'm not there yet, but I admire her for being about to do so.  I didn't look at all the comments because there are over 300 hundred of them, but I know that some of them had to be negative.  Grant you, anything you post on social media is subject to negativity, but the fact she was brave enough to post that photo was amazing to me.  

Like I said, I'm not there yet, but because of that photo, Whitney helped someone break out of their shell and put on a two piece.  Honestly, I would love to talk to her about her entire body positive movement (I won't say the name on here because that is her deal and I don't have permission to talk about it - but maybe one day) because she is making great strides.  Because of her photo, someone decided it was time to not be ashamed for not being a size skinny.  (I call it size skinny because no one really knows what number it is anymore).  Her photo probably saved the life of someone.  

Stop hiding, ladies and gentlemen.  We are amazing human beings, all of us, and we deserve to walk around with our heads up high and not looking at the ground because we're trying to avoid the nasty looks people give us.  The best medicine for that is to flash them with a smile.  Now, those are contagious!  

No comments:

Post a Comment