Sunday, February 21, 2016

Futuristically Speaking...

Director Michael Bay has made some pretty awesome movies.  I'm a Transformers fan all the way!  Yall know yall love Bad Boys and Bad Boys II.  I'm not really down with the horror flicks, but I know a few of you love them.  Then there is one that I absolutely adore...Armageddon.  This movie came out in 1998 and it is one of the first movies I can remember going to see without parental guidance.  

If you were attentive in your science classes, you will quickly discover a lot of the things happening in the movie is not possible.  Most notably, the fire happening in space.  It's just not going to happen.  But, let's get back to the year - 1998.  That year, I would have been leaving 7th grade and entering the 8th.  Here is why this is important to you - it was my 7th grade year when I truly fell in love with writing and I started paying attention to movie lines instead of the graphics and the background noise.  

Let's get back to Armageddon.  You have to wait about an hour to get to this point, but there is a speech given by the president that is, in my opinion, absolutely awesome.  Now, we all know I did not write this, but I wanted to share it with you. 


I address you tonight not as the President of the Unitied States, not as the leader of a country, but as a citizen of humanity.  We are faced with the very gravest of challenges.  The Bible calls this day "Armageddon"; the end of all things.  And yet, for the first time in the history of the planet, a species has the technology to prevent its own extinction.  All of you praying with us need to know that everything that can be done to prevent this disaster is being called into service.  The human thirst for excellence, knowledge, every step up the ladder of science, every adventurous reach into space, all of our combined modern technologies and imaginations, even the wars that we've fought have provided us the tools to wage this terrible battle.  Through all the chaos that is our history, through all of the wrongs and the discord, through all of the pain and suffering, through all of our times, there is one thing that has nourished our souls, and elevated our species about it origins, and that is our courage.  The dreams of an entire planet are focused tonight on those fourteen brave souls traveling into the heavens.  Any may we all, citizens the world over, see these events through.  God speed, and good luck to you.

So, this entire scene is just under two and a half minutes.  It is full of amazing shots of the president, the 14 brave souls going into the heavens, flashes or their families, locations all over the world, and even various language translations.  

Ok - I have to share it with you!  Thank you to the person who posted this to YouTube because I really needed it.  Presidential Speech in Armageddon 

To date (almost 20 years later), it is still being called one of the greatest presidential speeches ever given in a movie.  Honestly, I cannot argue with that.  I may be a bit bias because I love this movie or maybe it was just out at the right time I started focusing on my writing.  I'm not sure what it means, but I know as a teen, I was moved and as an adult, I am still moved by that scene.  Then I do some more reading...

Michael Bay doesn't particularly care for this work of art.  I had to find this quote and I hope it is really close.  In an interview in 2013 with the Miami Herald, Bay is quoted as saying this:

"I will apologize for Armageddon, because we had to do the whole movie in 16 weeks.  It was a massive undertaking.  That was not fair to the movie.  I would redo the entire third act if I could."

How could something we think is so amazing be so hated by the person who helped create it?  Honestly, I think that answer is quite simple - maybe the movie wasn't for you!  Maybe the very thing Michael Bay had in his mind was to be used for something else 18 years down the road (yep, I'm talking about this post).  Maybe it was supposed to be used to inspire someone else to grow up to be a director and have them bring in someone who knows how to write and create an awesome speech for a movie.  Maybe it wasn't meant for you to enjoy...at least not at the moment.  

I cannot tell you how many posts I have written and I think this sucks.  But then I keep going because maybe as bad as it sucks to relieve whatever made the post possible, maybe someone else needed to read it to give them a little bit more strength.  I don't know, maybe it is just the extra push that someone else needed.  Like I said, maybe I'm just biased because of the time this movie came out and the time I was just getting into my writing juices - but isn't it great to think about how your work has inspired someone along the way and you have no clue?  I hope I can be that person to someone someday.  But until that day comes, let me just say Thank You to Michael Bay for getting out this movie, even if he doesn't think it was his best work.  

Now, am I saying Bay has been my only inspiration?  Absolutely not.  You can look through several of my posts and realize that people around me inspire me each day.  But let's really think about this - I haven't been doing this blog that long.  Then, some days, I don't feel like writing.  Every single year in October and November, I seem to go through a drought.  Then when the new year comes, I'm all ready to write again.  Things happen and constantly change, but I love what I do.  Bay doesn't think he had his best work, but I'm not the only person he inspired and I'm sure that I won't be the last.  

So, now I bet you are thinking, what does this have to do with the theme of this blog?  The answer is simple - EVERYTHING!!!  When I'm gone, this blog is still going to exist.  It may not have anyone writing in it, but the words I leave behind are going to inspire someone - even those posts that I didn't want to write!  The point is this, even when you don't feel like doing anything, do something.  You never know who is going to look at your work and think I can do that.  You may never get famous or have your name in a million households, but if you can be a motivation for just one person, isn't the writing, the drawing, the long nights, the long days, the crazy hours, all the drafts, and the messy sketches worth it?  I think so.  




No comments:

Post a Comment