Saturday, February 20, 2016

My version of me

If you have been reading this blog for any length of time, you have realized one thing - this blog is my baby!  I love this blog.  I pour a lot out in the blog.  This blog has helped me to step out of my comfort zone.  The blog has allowed me to be more of myself (even if I am not using my government name). This blog lets me be Shayla Em and I love that!  I knew that when I started this blog, I was going to have to get used to being in the public eye.  I didn't set out to be famous (but bring it on), but I did set out to have a great blog.  With greatness, things come your way and I am excited about that.  I've been invited to events, I have the chance to write for other publications, but my favorite thing has been me taking a chance on my blog and trying to do new things.  Do they all work?  Nope, but it's a learning process and I am absolutely cool with that!  Quite frankly, if you talk to any blogger, I think they invent themselves until they are comfortable and when it's time, they do it again.  

I love reading other blogs!  I have subscriptions to several other blogs and I love getting the emails about new posts.  Why?  You probably think I'm scoping the competition.  You probably think you're just going to steal and idea.  Nope!  I subscribe simply because I love supporting other bloggers!  We can't do this by ourselves and some of us have many of the same readers.  It's about being a community and working together.  It's having having each others backs.  It's about learning from other people.  There is nothing like the blogging community and I love it!  But here's what I don't love - when people don't even take the time to write in a journal (which I do also), but want to tell me what I should be posting about.  

I write about what I know.  Here is what I currently know about - I know about being a plus size woman with natural hair, while trying to be myself in a corporate life because I work for state government as a civil engineer.  On top of all of that, I know about being a Christian and trying to spread the love of Christ, but not offending my readers that are not Christian because I have a respect for religion and religious freedom.  Then on top of that...well, just take a look at this blog and you can see what I know about.  Again, I write about what I know!  

I ask my readers for suggestions all the time - not necessarily in my posts, but on my twitter feed (hit the button on the right of your screen or just find me @TheShaylaEm).  I like to communicate and hear what you want me to share.  If I know something about it, I'll do it.  But here is what I will not do - I will NOT conform just to fit into your box of what you want me to fit it.  I don't want to be in a box.  Even when I die, I want to be cremated because I don't want to be in a box.  I like the blogger I am right now.  When I'm ready for a change, I'll make that decision.  If you like it, great.  However, if you don't, it has been a pleasure having you as a former reader.  

People grow and change.  That is how life works.  I don't know, one day maybe I won't be plus sized and I'll have to change the name to The Skinny Diaries.  I don't really see that happening, but if it does, it just does.  I'm OK with that!  For right now, I'll keep writing The Plus Diaries and taking your suggestions.  What I will not do is change and turn into something I'm not.  My writing integrity just isn't work it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment