Thursday, February 4, 2016

#TPD100: Let me re-introduce myself

On May 25, 2013, I started this blog.  I didn't intend for it to be anything fancy, but I did want it to be a safe and fun place for people to interact.  Well, that part has happened.  I love getting feedback on Twitter, Instagram, and Tumblr (all @TheShaylaEm) and it makes me so happy to know people are interested in what I have to say.  

I said I wanted to mention some celebs and I have been able to do so.  This year, I started doing features and this month, I will feature my second person.  I'm too excited about these posts and as far as this first one is concerned, it has gone really well.  

I really don't think I have to go through all the formalities.  You know I'm Shayla Em and you know that isn't my government name.  I don't still like to be kept in a bubble or in a box (that's why I'm asking to be cremated).  I'm still a plus-size diva and I love me!  I don't love me every single day (if you are honest with yourself, neither do you), but my good days definitely outweigh my bad days.  

I'm no longer writing for Vyzion Entertainment or Manik Magazine, but I am truly thankful for the opportunities these businesses gave me.  More important, they gave me the confidence to be able to break out of my shell and write this blog!  For that, I am grateful and everything I learned from them, I have been able to use to write this blog.  

Some new things have happened since I started this blog.  I've worked really hard to learn to do makeup and I've had the pleasure of making a few clients look and feel amazing for their big days!  Just like last year, I'm looking forward to working with The Cinderella Project to help make less fortunate teens looks amazing for their proms.  Honestly, that was probably the highlight of my year!  I used to be a business owner with Motives Cosmetics, but due to my regular job and me wanting to focus primarily on this blog, I decided to let that part of my life go.  It's not that I didn't enjoy it, but I've learned to become more focused on the things that are really important to me - my job, blog, and being a makeup artist / stylist is extremely important to me.  

Well, I guess you want to know what my day job is.  Let me start with my college degree - Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering with a minor in Mathematics. That's probably a bit of a shock to many of you.  Engineer by day, writer, MUA, and stylist by night.  I admit it's a pretty giant extreme, but I like it.  During the day, I'm on a team that designs roadways and bridges.  I'm on the hydraulic team.  I've learned so much about water and it has definitely earned a lot more of my respect.  I feel truly blessed because I am actually getting the chance to use my degree and I love it.  It's not adventurous on most days, but it is good enough for me.  

Want to know about my personal life?  Well, if you said yes, you missed a key word - personal.  I've learned to keep that part of my life off social media.  I've also learned this - all those smiling couples we see on social media are probably not that happy.  I don't have time to front.  If you are going to see me (us), you are going to see the good, bad, and ugly and those three things don't need to be all over the internet for me to never get my privacy back.  Besides, the person I'm dating (if I'm dating someone) didn't ask to be put in this spotlight - not that I'm trying to keep it for myself, but I'm not going to give the public any extra ammunition.  

If you've been with my from posts 1 - 99, you know I love me some Jesus!  However, I've never tried to persuade you to be a Christian and I've always respected other faiths.  If we could all get a handle on tolerance of all things, I think this world would be a lot better place.  Ok, let me get back to what I'm doing.  

There are so many more things I want to accomplish.  I've set a goal to do at least 36 posts this year.  Why that number?  I have no clue, but I'm going to do my best to make that mark.  I've also set a goal to lose some more weight this year.  Last year, I maintained a certain size, but this year, I want to lose weight - if I drop a size, that's cool with me.  Another thing I want to do is be more open.  It's not the easiest thing, but I think I can make it happen.  

As with the very first post in this blog, I feel like I have forgotten something.  I probably did and by this time this posts, it will be too late.  However, there is always time to celebrate post 200.  

Let me know what you think of the blog!  I love hearing from you!  All of you are awesome and this blog would not be a success without your support!  

So, if you could, please do me a favor.  Once you have read this blog, please tweet me @TheShaylaEm and let me know you read this post using #TPD100!  

No comments:

Post a Comment