Sunday, June 12, 2016

A Powerful Gift



I have a wonderful friend I've only known for less than a year.  However, she has turned out to be one of the best people I've ever met in my life.  We hang out.  We text almost every single day.  We laugh and we just cut up.  That's just what we do!  The best part about our friendship is that we can have great conversations about life and the things we have experienced.  

We had a cool conversation yesterday about siblings.  She has a few.  I have none.  She talked about her relationships with them.  Their bonds and how it is so different from friendship.  Then she wondered if I felt like I had missed out.  I think I may have surprised her, but nope, I don't feel like I missed out because my parents only decided to have one.  Actually, I feel like I was blessed with an amazing opportunity. 

Just because I don't have sisters and brothers, it doesn't mean siblings.  I was blessed with an opportunity to pick the people in my life (instead of having to kick siblings off a family tree like I have done some of my cousins).  I have a twin that is white - LOL!  We've been friends for 20 years and I wouldn't trade her for anything in the world.  I have a sister that is white.  I met her my first year of college.  After she came out of her shyness, I discovered she was pretty friggin cool.  Even though my biological mom gave me life, I have so many moms of different ethnic backgrounds.  But, back to my siblings.  One sister is bi-racial.  My friend, who inspired this post, may not have known it, but I consider her a sibling too.  See, I didn't miss out.  It was simply an awesome opportunity that God gave me.  

Here's another thing God gave me by not giving me brothers and sisters.  He gave me a certain strength that only people who are only children will understand.  We know how to get through this life with very little help, even though we love people.  Not saying other people are not, but we are extremely driven because we don't have a brother or sister in our corner giving us support.  Finally, in my opinion, we can see through you because we are not blinded by the fact we are blood related.  If I see you acting foolish or I think you need to grow up, I'm going to tell you.  There is no, well, that's my brother or sister to have to deal with.  I'm going to tell you like it is.  My siblings that I have selected are the same way with me and I respect them and love them for it.  

Both of my parents come from rather large families.  I have so many aunts and uncles.  Maybe they didn't want me to have to battle siblings they way they had to. 

So, it's okay to be an only child.  Not like we had control over it.  I used to want brothers and sisters, but then I grew up.  As I got older, I realized how blessed I was!  God knew what he was going with me.  He gave me something powerful - the gift of 1.  

No comments:

Post a Comment