Monday, June 13, 2016

Foodie Files

I have been trying really hard to keep my calorie intake in check.  I've been doing very well, if I do say so myself.  However, my arch nemesis is pasta.  I could eat pasta all day long if it was allowed.  On the other hand, have you looked at the calories in that stuff?  Geeezzz...that just messed me all the way up.  But, I found an alternative.  

I love zucchini!  I also love the fact I can turn zucchini into pasta with one little handy machine.  The photo you see to the right is a dish I absolutely enjoy making.  If you want step-by-step instructions, make sure you check out my Periscope videos for part 1 and part 2.  

Yes, this is the finished product.  It was pretty on the video, but I messed it up a little so people who joined in at the last minute could see everything that was in it.  Besides, as I said on the video, I'm not too good at making it look pretty on plates, but I can make sure you have a delicious dinner!  

Just in case you were wondering, yes, my favorite color is red!  

I absolutely love to cook.  It's fun to me and it actually relaxes me, especially after a long day at work.  However, this is what I love about cooking - I am in control of what goes into my tummy!  During my video, someone asked me if I was on a diet and I told them I don't really like to call it that.  I don't.  I'm determined to make a lifestyle change and that is what is important to me.  Yes, I'm trying to get into a particular size, but I want to continue to eat healthy after I have achieved my goal.  

Tonight, I added banana peppers with the tomatoes.  Delicious!!!  Also, while cooking the shrimp, I used the juice from the banana peppers, as well as Old Bay seasoning and black pepper.  

When it comes to cooking the zucchini, I keep it simple.  Water only!!!  No oil was used in anything I cooked.  In order to add some flavor to the zucchini, I used red pepper flakes.  If you check out the videos, the red pepper flakes are not mentioned because I did not use them tonight!  I figured I already had enough seasoning going on for my liking.  However, you do you!  Cook how you want to and make it how you want it to taste!  

This is simple to me!!!  The longer part was actually using the pasta maker to get it ready, but I am even getting a better hang of that.  

Due to how the zucchini cooks down, I would say one zucchini per meal.  Because I don't mind cooking, I only make one at a time.  In other words, if I want this dish tomorrow, I'm cooking again!  However, if you choose to make enough for a few meals, have at it!  I change up meals so often during the week, it is a waste for me to cook it all at once.  I learned that the hard way and I absolutely hate to waste food, but it happens sometimes.  

This is the meal from over the weekend!  I measure out everything I use.  You are probably thinking that's a lot of cheese.  According to the packet, a serving in 1/3 cup.  That's exactly what you see in both photos, 1/3 cup of cheese.  

As for the sauce, you can make your own or you can semi make your own.  I semi make my own.  My base in both photos is Ragu (select whatever kind you wish).  Then, I added the tomatoes (and tonight banana peppers).  However, if you choose to make the sauce yourself, please let me know what you used!  

Healthy eating doesn't mean eating a salad every single meal of the day.  Healthy eating doesn't have to be nasty either.  Luckily, I like fruits and veggies, so this is sort of easy for me.  However, find what works for you!  

If anything, I hope I have encouraged you to try something new.  Let me know if you try it and how it works out!  

No comments:

Post a Comment