Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Loc me up!

Disclaimer:  Yes, I'm fully aware I look a mess in some of these photos.  However, getting my hair done is not a magical process.  It has to look rough before it looks flawless.  If you are looking for all perfect photos or perfect hair with me spinning around and being a model, you are at the wrong post.  

I honestly did not want to get a protective style for the summer.  I was perfectly fine with twisting my hair and giving my fro new styles throughout the week.  However, where I live, the way the humidity is set it...and the way my job is set up (impromptu site visits in the humidity), a protective style was warranted.  

Honestly, I didn't want senegalese twists because I had just had them in January.  Didn't really want havana twists because I had those last summer for a wedding.  I had thought about getting a crochet style, but I figured my head would start itching the next day.  I wanted to do something different and definitely not return back to micros.  It took me a few weeks to decide on a style, but after talking to some people and thinking it over, I finally decided.  

At the office, people knew I was getting my hair done.  It wasn't a big secret, especially since I had been talking about it for weeks.  However, I noticed the biggest question wasn't what are you getting done to you hair, but instead it was what color is your hair going to be?  

Well, of course my pop of color was going to be red.  I mean, what else could I go with?  But what style did I choose?

Not sure if you can see from this photo, but I decided to go with faux locs!  I was a little worried at first because it's something totally different from what I usually go with, but even before she was finished, I absolutely loved my hair!!!  

My stylist was the absolutely fabulous Ms. Vee at Nappyology 101.  I cannot even lie, she has absolutely spoiled me because I had prepared for 10 to 12 hours, when she had me finished between 6 to 7 hours.  I have never had a protective style take so little time.  However, that wasn't my favorite part.  

My favorite part was the professionalism of my stylist and the conversations that were had that day.  Yep, we took some breaks to eat and she still had me ready in a reasonable amount of time.  It doesn't get much better than that.  

Why did I decide to go with this particular style?  Well, I've actually been considering letting my hair loc up for a few months.  Truth be told, I've been afraid that it wouldn't look good on me.  Yes, I know I'm going to have to go through the weird short phase, but it may be worth it.  I haven't decided on these long term, but it is definitely an option I plan on keeping on the table.  

In order to achieve this look, Ms. Vee used yarn.  Basically, you see none of my natural hair and I'm cool with that.  Also, my hair is parted in triangles to achieve a fuller look.  

I typically leave my styles in for 3 to 4 months.  However, with this, my hair has the potential to loc on its own.  In other words, I need to make a decision as to if I want this for real or just every once in a while.  

Cool fact?  I could honestly get used to this.  People have been throwing compliments my way since I got it done.  They've asked questions about the process and of course, I've been asked my absolute favorite question of can I touch your hair?  If you have known me (in real life or just through social media), you know the answer to that question was yes!  If you are just joining me on this blog journey, here is a reference to why I say yes.  

I am known for trying different things with my hair, whether it be with color, cut, or protective styles.  Since I am in the process of letting my natural hair grow out, this style serves another purpose called I don't have to touch my hair for a few months.  I can just let my hair grow and if I decide locs are not the way I want to go, I can see how long it is and pick another style.  

My hair is getting ready to be two weeks old and it still looks as it I got it done yesterday!  My hair grows quickly and I am curious to see if my hair is going to start growing outside of the yarn.  Nope, not at the top of my hair where you expect to see new growth, I'm talking about somewhere in the middle of the faux loc.  I'm not exactly sure what this particular hair style is going to do, but I know that I'm excited for the journey whether it is for 3 to 4 months or for a few years.  You know I'll keep you posted!  


No comments:

Post a Comment