Monday, July 18, 2016

My BuJo 101


If you know me, I pride myself on being organized.  I survive with my calendar on my phone, on my computer at work for work, and (believe or not) with my paper calendar I also carry with me.  During job interviews, I tell them my best quality is my organization skills.  My boss tells me that he envies me because I'm always so organized and I can find stuff whenever he needs it.  Organization is just my thing.  So, imagine my absolute shock when I discovered the wonders of having a bullet journal?!  

I don't know when this craze got started or who started it, but I'm glad they did.  I have been using Pinterest (yes, I'm shocked too) in order to find ideas.  But the one thing I have learned about this type of journal is I can do whatever I want!  I see where other people have made their designs really unique (I'll get there one day), but for me, I just love the fact of the absolute freedom of this journal.  

Let's start with my base.  I know this is probably weird, but I am currently using a sketch pad for my bullet journal.  I like how the pages feel and I love using gel ink to make the words pop! Hopefully, these pages will cooperate when I start using water colors and caligraphy pens to make more of a statement.  I have a friend that is an artist, so I've been bugging him about what I can use on the pages.  He's been very helpful and patient with my line of questioning and I am so thankful for it.  

I've already told you about me using gel ink and I love my pens (thanks, mom).  I also use stickers.  I am on the hunt this week for more stickers (more creative stickers) and a ruler because I would love to get some straighter lines when I am doing some freehand sketching and just to make my headers a lot cleaner.  

The lettering - well, the lettering is all my own creation.  I'm not using a special pen yet, so I'm just having to do some freehand stuff.  I think it looks good so far, but I know there is room for improvement.  I know my bullet journal will get more creative as time goes by and I am really excited! 

So, we know the bullet journal is mainly used for organization.  However, I use mine for something different right now.  I've been very open about my issues with anxiety.  I've been very open about the fact I'm on medication.  I've also been very open about the fact that even on medication, I've had a few anxiety attacks.

  
To help me through the day (weeks and months), I write down my day - just in a very condensed version.  If I workout, I write it down.  Or, that may come in a version of me writing down the calories I've burned during the day.  If I'm really loving the outfit I'm wearing, I write that down.  Something about having a great outfit just makes the day better.  Depending on what I eat, I may tell you about that.  If I hang out with my friends, you will know about that.  Heaven forbid I go shopping...yeah, you already know!

There are four things you will always see in my bullet journal though on a particular day - my daily Bible verse, the forecast, my anxi-cast (how I'm feeling during the AM and PM), and a "what did I learn today" section.  Maybe they will change, but as for right now, I have to have them on each page.

I'm not sure where this journey is going to take me, but I did write on a page journey of a lifetime.  I'm so happy I found this idea because of someone I follow on twitter.  She doesn't realize how much she inspired me.  In turn, one of my friends is getting ready to give this whole bullet journaling thing a try. 

Also, I'm enjoying the bullet journal (aka the #bujo) community.  Everyone is so quick to offer advice and tell you so many ideas.  Another thing I've noticed, the #bujo community is so amazingly nice.  Each time I've posted something on any of my social networks or asked a question, the community has been so quick to answer and offer any help they possibly can.  That is really great to me because I still need some help right now and maybe one day, I'll be able to pass along some advice.  

So, here is just a little bit about my bullet journal.  I truly hope you are not too bored because I will be talking about this a little bit more, especially when I start to make some changes.  What I'm most excited about?  The page I'm going to do at the end of the month.  Not even going to tell you what it is because I'm just that excited it.  Stay tuned...

2 comments:

  1. Your bullet journal is like no other and that's what I like the most about it!
    I'm glad I've inspired you a bit to start your own and as an organized person myself, I can tell you that you'll love it always more with time.

    Samantha | https://samanthacarraro.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am working on my month of July page right now and I am so happy I saw your post introducing me to the wonderful world of bullet journaling. It has absolutely changed my life!

      Delete