Wednesday, August 10, 2016

4'10"

Think back to a time in your life when the only thing you wanted to focus on was the task at hand.  Have you thought about it?  Good.  Let me tell you about a few of mine.

Last year, I needed to keep my nerves in check because I was doing makeup for a bridal party.  Small wedding, but I still needed to be on point.  Talk about focusing on other people and not letting them see you sweat, even when I had to do the flower girls.  All the times I've had job interviews, I focused on answering the questions to the best of my ability.  When I had a piano recital, I made sure I hit every single key in perfect rhythm.  Was I nervous?  Of course, but then I got steady and got to a place where it was just me and what I was doing.  No outside thoughts.  

Let's take this to another level.  The Olympic Games.  These athletes are performing their respective sports, but not just for them...for their entire country.  Someone is looking at them in person or on television thinking I want to do that.  They are focused.  Someone, even with all the cheering, they have their eyes set on the task in front of them because this may be the only time they get this opportunity.  They have worked their entire life for this one moment.  They've missed family events.  They've missed proms.  They have missed vacations.  They have missed the simplicity to do the incredible.  They have trained.  They have devoted their life to their sport.  They have endured injuries and managed to get back up.  This list has to be longer than I can imagine because I know what I go through to live a normal life that doesn't have me on worldwide display every four years.  

So, they spend their whole lives learning to focus on the task in front of them and represent an entire nation with pride...but yet some in the general population think it is cool to just sit at home and be critical.  Gabby Douglas rocked out four years ago and didn't do a bad job this year in Rio.  However, some people still thought it was necessary to comment on her hair.  Seriously?  She out her winning and defending gold medals and the only thing you can discuss is her edges?  Some of you really need to have all the seats.  But then I see someone else being the subject of just pure meanness and horrible jokes.  

AFP - Getty Images
Mexican gymnast Alexa Moreno (pictured above) is a 4'10", 99 lbs, 22 year old woman.  Yet instead of looking at her power on the vault or any of her other competitions, some people decided to call her a pig.  One person even told her she should have gone on a diet before going to Rio.  Please help me to understand how someone not even in triple digits in their weight needs to lose weight?  If that is what people are considering fat these days, I don't stand a chance.  

This really hurt me for this woman because to someone out there, they looked at her body and said I look like her so maybe I can do that too.  Alexa is perfectly fine to me.  Grant it, she may have some things she doesn't like about her body, but she was still obviously fit enough to go compete at the Olympic games.  I mean, don't you think her coaches would have made her go on a diet before competing if they thought it was that big of an issue?   

Those two people in particular who were talking trash about her did delete their tweets, but not before the amazing power of a screenshot was used.  Oh yes, we know who you are.  Nope, not even going to state your twitter handle because you don't deserve anything from me or my followers. 

I've always wondered if the body shamers of the world actually look like their social media posts?  Seriously, they could be lying.  I post pictures of myself all the time, so you know what I look like - no shame in my game.  It's rare that we actually see the face of a body shamer, unless you are Dani Mathers.  (Yep, called her out again).  But usually, the body shamers are just trolls sitting behind a screen with nothing to do except hurt other people.  How exactly is that being productive?  

It's not being productive, but Alexa Moreno was just very productive.  For a country to hardly have a program, she's done a lot just by going to the Olympics.  Nope, she didn't medal, but she took a chance and hopefully, she has memories and photos that will last a lifetime.  If you get the chance, go check out her floor routine on Youtube.  It wasn't all the tumbling you have come to expect, but she didn't fall and I didn't see her step out of bounds.  If you ask me, the only thing holding her back was the degree of difficulty and nothing else.  Also, if you just happen to know her, please give her a shoutout from me!    

Get it together, people.  It's time to stop tearing people down so you can feel like you are up.  It's not worth it.  But, shoutout to everybody out there doing something and trying to make something of themselves without shaming other people.  You're the real MVP! 

3 comments:

  1. Thank you,thank you and thank you. I'm not just doing this cause this girl is amazing and from Mexico my beloved country but also for all the haters out there that look at me and don't believe I run. Those that have called me a Hippo and don't believe I can run a half marathon or even a 5K race. I may not have a runners body" whatever that means but I run and do it with all my heart. I don't do it to look good but for my health , the mental and the physical. You are right we need to learn to build each other up. Thank you again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, Angie! I just wish people would see the positive instead of constantly looking at the negative. We would be so much better if we lifted each other up instead of trying to tear each other down.

      Delete
  2. Thank you,thank you and thank you. I'm not just doing this cause this girl is amazing and from Mexico my beloved country but also for all the haters out there that look at me and don't believe I run. Those that have called me a Hippo and don't believe I can run a half marathon or even a 5K race. I may not have a runners body" whatever that means but I run and do it with all my heart. I don't do it to look good but for my health , the mental and the physical. You are right we need to learn to build each other up. Thank you again

    ReplyDelete