Thursday, August 11, 2016

No Vacancy

To this very day, I still feel bad when I'm not available to people.  I can have a hundred things going on, but if a person says they need me, I try to make myself available.  I know, that's not the healthiest thing in the world to be doing, but I have just always tried to make sure I help as many people as I can.  However, I've learned there are some people who are never going to return the favor.  Those are the people you have to love from a distance.  You still support them, but you cannot let their madness get in the way of what you are doing.

I'm learning to be a little bit more selfish with my time and energy.  I want to make sure I devote time to The Plus Diaries and everything I have going on under that umbrella (blog, podcast, and other projects).  Of course, I work a day job, so I have to have energy for that!  Bills have to be paid.  Then I have a pretty solid circle of friends I hang out with.  I make sure to do my bullet journal page each day.  On top of those friends, I have a group of young ladies I have the pleasure of leading in a small group for church.  There are other things too, like my TV time and sleep, but those times vary.  

I think I get annoyed when I see myself pouring out so much, but yet I see so little coming my way in return.  This next statement goes for any relationship you are trying to have, whether it is true love, just a friendship, coworkers, whatever you can think of where it is two or more people - if you feel like you are doing almost everything and you need a break, take a break!  Seriously, step back and take some time for yourself.  You've earned it.

 
In my writing life, I'm known for taking a break around this time of year.  I'm trying not to do that this year because I want to stay in contact with all of you.  However, I have learned to take small breaks throughout the year, and I am not just talking about holidays.  

Burn out is real!  If you feel like it is happening to you, do something else for a little while or take small steps back from what is burning you out.  It's really bad when something you used to enjoy feels like a job and it was just a hobby.  That's not fair to the people around you and it's definitely not fair to you. Being burned out basically means you've earned a break, so take it!  

Here is what I enjoy most about everything I do - I actually enjoy it!  I don't just decide to do something and then stick with it because it is profitable and because it can make me famous.  I do it for the love of it.  I make blankets because it feels good to make something I know someone is going to be able to use to keep them warm or even comfort them.  I enjoy blogging and staying on social media because I absolutely love connecting with you and this is a safe place for me to express myself.  I enjoy my bullet journal because on a bad day, I can look back on a good day and find some happiness.  

That's what it's all about - finding happiness even if it is just for a small moment.  Find that place.  When you feel down, go back to that place.  But never let the madness of other people pull you out of a place you have worked very hard to get to.  Take a hiatus, even if it is from your family and friends.  Length of time for the hiatus?  That is up to you, but I will admit, in some cases it may be forever.  Grow during your hiatus.  You might just realize what or who you thought you needed isn't what you needed at all. 

Things to do on your hiatus:
1 - Grow
2 - Daycation
3 - Staycation
4 - Do something for yourself you haven't done in a long time
5 - Take care of you
6 - Look at the beauty in everything around you
7 - Be happy

Sometimes we need the hiatus to really see what is going on around us so we can take our next steps in life.  Slowing down let's you see things really fast.  Why don't you give it a try?

Photo credit: kevin dooley via Visual hunt / CC BY
Photo via Visual hunt 
Photo credit: taz + belly via Visualhunt / CC BY

No comments:

Post a Comment