Monday, September 5, 2016

Foodie File - Zucchini Boats!

A few weeks ago, I started seeing a dish floating around social media.  When I figured out what it was, I was a little bit excited because I absolutely love zucchini!  Well,  when I learned I could basically make these however I wanted, I was even more excited.  So, tonight, I will take this opportunity to tell you about a meal I tried for dinner, with my own twist .  Tonight, my meal was zucchini boats!  

Empty Zucchini boats
Since I didn't really know if I was going to like how these turned out, I started out just using two zucchinis.  In order to make the boats, I had to empty the zucchini.  In other words, I had to scoop out the insides of the zucchini I was getting ready to use.  Don't worry, I put that to good use later in this meal.  Once I had the zucchini scraped down to where I was pleased, I placed them in the dish I was going to use to bake them.  

To fill my boats, I decided to use other veggies and shrimp.  Yes, I know I talk a lot about using shrimp, but it is filling to me and it is less calories than turkey meat.  I decided to cook the shrimp earlier and have it ready.  Because I like to measure everything, in each boat, I used one ounce of shrimp.  

The veggies I decided to use were mushrooms, spinach, and tomatoes (yes, I know that is technically a fruit).  Of course, I added cheese to the mix.  And yes, I measured that too.  Just so you know, each boat consisted of one fourth a cup of shredded cheese.  

Zucchini boats (pre-oven)
Now, let me tell you about how I was able to get this delicious dinner.  I used organic olive oil to coat the inside of the boats.  Then, I placed some of the shredded cheese.  After that, I placed the mixture of shrimp, mushrooms, spinach, and tomatoes into the boat.  Once the boats were filled, I placed more shredded cheese on top.  Then it was time to place my version of the zucchini boats in the oven.  

I set my oven on 350 to preheat.  I put the zucchini boats in the oven at the same temperature and let them bake for 30 minutes.  During some of the time the zucchini boats were in the oven, I took the opportunity to make my topping, which was a zucchini puree.  

Zucchini Puree
Remember when I told you about the inside of the zucchini, but I would use them later?  Well the time has come.  I wanted to make a topping for my boats, so what was better to use than the inside of the zucchini?  I used my mini food processor to make my topping, which consisted of zucchini, half an avocado, onion (to taste), one teaspoon of organic olive oil, and fresh cilantro.  I let my food processor work its magic until it was at a consistency I was happy with.  Then, it was time to take my boats out of the oven.  

I didn't really know what to expect, but I have to say I was highly pleased with the result.  Quite frankly, I think my boats looked beautiful, but I wasn't finished just yet.  Now was the time to add the topping to my boats.  By the way, I used two halves of the zucchini to make my dinner and to my surprise, I was full!  Like seriously, I honestly didn't even think I was going to make it through all of my second boat, but I did.  

Zucchini boats (post-oven)
Well, once my boats were out of the oven, it was time to top them.  To top them, I used one fourth of a cup of sour cream total for both boats.  I didn't add sour cream to the ingredient list because use it only if you would like.  Once the sour cream was placed on the boats, that is when I added the zucchini puree.  Just because I love cheese, I added a little bit more shredded cheese on top of the sour cream and puree.  But as you can see from the photo, it wasn't that much more cheese.  

So, this was my dinner for tonight.  I have those moments where I enjoy being a foodie and tonight was one of those nights!  When you decide to try this recipe, please let me know what you think.  Also, please let me know of any changes you make because of what you like.  I enjoy trying new things and that means I need some recipes!  

Final Product


Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment