Tuesday, September 6, 2016

No More Excuses!

I have a really amazing set of people in my life whom I consider to be my close friends.  My circle is only about 10 strong, but those 10 people are truly blessings and each one of them bring something unique to my life.  Now, just because I love the 10 doesn't mean the 10 know each other or they know the same things about me.  There is still some privacy I like to maintain and I don't think there is anything wrong with that.  Also, I know who I can tell stuff to and who I cannot.  I just know their sensitive points and they know mine.  It's just a respect thing.  Why the long opening?  Well, the rest of the 10 are about to get told something only 2 knew about - 1 because they encouraged me to do it and the other because she helped me to get it accomplished.  

Before I started working with my current Talent Manager, I was actually signed to an agency for two years.  Once that contract ran out, I found it best to part ways with them.  However, there is something that kept bugging me about them - the lack of attention I was getting. You know, I would keep up my end of the bargain - show up to meetings on time, make sure I scheduled my monthly appointments (whether in person or online), and I made sure to take jobs when I was available to do so.  However, it just never seemed to be enough and I kept wondering why and then I remembered something the owner kept saying to me...you're too short.  


It's no secret that I'm short.  However, it doesn't bother me and some of the photographers I've worked with even said your height is nothing a good pair of heels cannot fix.  I enjoyed those photographers, but I particular enjoy my Talent Manager because she doesn't allow me to give up because of things other people have told me.  

In her own way, she motivated me to submit to be a plus model during a nationwide search.  Yes, I know it is a long shot because there are plenty of beautiful plus divas around this nation.  On the other hand, I feel really good because I at least had someone urging me to do this.  My other friend actually helped me shoot the video I needed and helped me answer a few of the questions since I'm not really sure how my friends describe me!  

Then, last night, I took another leap of faith - I applied to be a model with a store that is starting a plus line.  They told me I didn't need experience, but I've had the pleasure to having a little bit of experience...even if someone kept telling me I was too short.  Again, I don't know how this is going to turn out, but at least I have tried.  

Since I believe in being open with you, I will let you know how both of these things turn out.  I'm excited about it, but I'm also nervous because it is a new experience and definitely me stepping out of my comfort zone.  Yes, even though I have experience, there is always a bit of nervous energy when I step in front of a camera.  Why?  Each time I shoot, I want to do something different and show a little bit more of myself and I accomplish that mission each time.  

Here is my challenge to you - I want you to do something that takes you out of your comfort zone.  I understand it is going to be scary, but I can promise you it will be absolutely worth it.  Even if you get a rejection, don't think of it like that.  Think of it as you learning something new so you can keep elevating to where you are supposed to be!  Get to it, people! 



Photo credit: Casey Brannon of Casey Brannon Photography

Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment