Monday, September 19, 2016

The truth about blogging

Let me just be straight up - blogging is hard.  This isn't just me sitting in front of a laptop or my tablet and writing.  This is my brain working hard to make sure the right words come together.  Blogging is getting the right photos and GIFs together.  And don't get me started on when I'm actually taking the photos myself - I have to have great lighting, make sure it is edited properly, and don't even get me started on proper placement.  I mean, in a recent post, I used an analogy using ice cream and I had to place the photo where it would make sense.  

It's hard to be a blogger.  I currently only blog part-time, but I eventually want to get to a point where I am making a decent income with my blog and everything that comes under my blog umbrella.  I don't think there is anything wrong with that, but I also know it is not going to come overnight.  

I cannot tell you how many late nights I have stayed up because my blogging brain keeps moving!  I am constantly thinking about how I can say something.  I keep a notebook with me just so I can write down ideas.  If I don't have that notebook on me, I use my phone.  To be honest with you, I have written ideas on my hand.  

So, let's talk about these ideas.  I'm not just talking about post titles - quite frankly, those do not come until the end.  I'm talking about photos, topics, and where I want certain paragraphs to tie the entire post together.  My blog black book (yes, it's really a black book) means so much to me because any ideas I have for the blog and anything under the blog umbrella goes in that book...eventually.  



I cannot stand to hear someone say on see someone write on social media all you do it write.  Seriously?  You have no clue!  The funny part is the same people probably making these comments probably cannot put together a solid opening sentence to catch my attention.  See the GIPHY above?  That's how I feel sometimes - I'm standing still, but my ideas are constantly flowing all around me.  

You have no clue what it is like to come home after work and type because your mind won't stop until you do.  You don't get what it is like to wake up in the middle of the night and jot down the idea because you know you won't remember it once you wake up in the morning.  You don't understand how hard I work during lunch, when I'm supposed to be enjoying a break from the hustle and bustle of my day job.  The only time my blog stuff doesn't go to work with me is when I know I'm not going to be in the office during lunch.  That's it!  Even when I'm sick, if I am well enough to sit up at least an hour, I'm working on my blog - checking stats, writing notes, sending emails, doing my best to make contacts, and other things that can be productive for this blog.  

I take care of this blog like I take care of myself because it is a reflection of me!  I honestly think you can see if I'm having a rough day, a weird day, or a wonderful day based on the language I use.  I love the fact you get to know a little bit about me based on my posts.  That's why I believe in being transparent because I want you to know me.  This blog helps you know me and I don't plan on changing that.  

So, bloggers and wonderful readers of this blog, what do you think about my blog?  Bloggers, how do you keep people wanting to come back and read more?    

Follow

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a great post! Honestly, I thought I was the only one who felt this way. Blogging isn't easy, it takes time and effort to produce a good post.

    Sabah || www.womanishaffairs.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure does, but in the end, it's worth it. However, I've learned to take little breaks so I won't burn myself out. Plus, those little breaks give me time to catch up on other blogs I follow!

      Delete