Wednesday, September 28, 2016

This is Awesome

I don't know if I have ever done this, but let me just say the new show on NBC by the name of This Is Us is absolutely amazing.  It's been a long time since I felt like I could actually relate to a character on a show.  I know what you are thinking - you like Grey's Anatomy so you can relate to them because you are intelligent.  Or my absolute favorite of, but you enjoy Black-ish because they look like you.  Ok, whatever to both statements!  

There is so much more to me than being intelligent and being a black chick with a fro.  In case you didn't also notice from my photos, I'm a thick chick.  I mean, my blog is actually called The Plus Diaries so, um....yeah.  People who look like me are not seen on my television screen.  You're probably thinking, but what about Gabby from Empire?  I can see where your point would be valid, but I don't really relate to her character on the show.  However, a character I can relate to right now is Kate from This is Us.  

Kate is a beautiful woman.  She's intelligent.  She's doing her best to help her brother along in his career.  She's trying to lose weight.  She's in a support group for people with body issues.  And we learned last night that she has been struggling with her weight since she was a child.  Basically Kate, played by the ever talented Chrissy Metz, is absolutely awesome.  However, she does deal with some things I've long struggled with.  Last night, that was really evident.  

There is one particular scene that really made me jump.  She was at a party with her boyfriend (who I'm honestly not a fan of) and he wanted to dance.  She wasn't really feeling it at first, but she finally got out there.  Before she could even start dancing and get liquored up, she noticed the other party guests staring.  Want to take a guess at what they were looking at staring at?  I'll give you three and none of them should include the awesome outfit she had on...

They were looking at one thing and one thing only, her weight.  I've heard my entire life that you want to be the woman who turns heads in the room.  However, I don't think they meant for me to turn heads because I am one of the biggest people in the room.  Do I understand that people may just be looking at my outfit?  Of course!  But I am also well aware of when people may be looking at me and laughing at me being a plus size woman around so many skinny friends. 


I get it.  I've been going through this my entire life, probably just like Kate.  It's taken me so long to get to a point where I can look in the mirror and say my outfit is awesome instead of saying damn, I look fat and no matter how many times I change, I'm still going to be fat.  Please understand, I still have my days.  It was just last week I told my friends and posted on twitter I'm having a fat day.  I know my truth!  It's just part of me.  But here is one thing I can tell you - I refuse to be a prisoner to my own body negativity any longer because I am so much more than the skin color and skin flab you see!  

Bad days are going to happen.  If you're not having a bad moment, you are not living life right.  Not every single outfit you are going to put on is going to be perfect, but I guarantee you will be able to find one good thing about it, even if it is just the shoes.

I'm looking forward to watching This Is Us during this season and many seasons to come.  Honestly, I'm excited to see how Kate develops and to see how her childhood played a factor into the adult she we see today.  More important, I'm excited to see what I can learn from her character and how she carries herself.  

So back to my original statement - I'm so glad to finally see someone on TV who looks likes like!  I'm happy to see someone on TV who has the same insecurities as me when they start to dance.  I'm so happy to see someone not skinny on TV who works out (yes, she was in a gym last night), but can't ever seem to lose the weight.  I'm finally happy to see a representation of the life I've lived for so many years.  Thank you NBC for stepping outside of the box and being absolutely diverse! 

Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment