Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Fatty McFatterson

To be perfectly honest with you, I think it was a snowball effect to cause me to lose it when I saw a particular tweet this morning.  I wasn't really upset, but I just kept thinking that's really the best you can do?  Let me explain...

I follow Health and Food Tips and they also follow me.  Typically, they give out great tips and just random bits of information.  I have long started that I am not skinny (I mean, just look at the name of this blog).  But, I have also started that I do take care of myself.  So, imagine my feelings (yes, I realized I was probably in them) when I saw this tweet from a source I typically enjoy.  



Yep, that's the tweet!  I saw this during my morning Twitter viewing party and I was absolutely shocked to see this from them.  Not because they are constantly advertising healthy tips, but because of the wording.  

The first thing to jump out at me was the word fat.  I'm not an advocated of the word, even though I am known to tweet I'm feeling fat today or I'm having a fat day.  If I'm saying either of those things about myself, I'm having a rough day.  It's just not a word I typically use and unless something changes, I don't plan on taking back that word any time soon.  I don't know if it is because I don't like the word, but it had a very clear and negative undertone in this tweet...at least it did to me.  I felt like it read if you keep the excuses coming the FAT will keep coming too.  How my mind read it, that's how it felt like it was typed.  But let's get to the word before that...

I wasn't an English major, but I believe the word excuses in this sentence is being used as a noun.  Excuse: a reason or explanation put forward to defend or justify a fault or offense.  I think people have plenty of valid excuses to not work out or eat healthy, but just don't tell them the fat will keep coming.  Some people are just genetically blesses and can eat three full course meals a day and not gain a single ounce.  Great for them!  Can't even be mad at that.  So, how can you tell them the fat will keep coming?  

You are probably thinking you're already not skinny so you are just sensitive about this.  Nope, not at all.  In fact, I think you might just be shocked as to where I am getting ready to go with this.  

What if the person reading that tweet was a teenage girl already suffering from body issues and already telling herself she's fat when she weighs just over one hundred pounds?  She might have been hurt from practicing a sport and having to rest, but since she's using her being hurt as an excuse, the fat is just going to keep coming?  What if the person reading that tweet already has a whole different set of self-esteem issues and they used the they stare at me every single time I got to the gym excuse so they decide to workout at home.  Will the fat keep coming?  We all know even if we have workout equipment or DVDs at home, we do better when we are at a facility or outside enjoying the scenery.  Why?  I guess because we pay for the membership and because we actually enjoy being outside during certain times of the year.  Or what if the person reading the tweet uses the I can't afford to eat healthy excuse?  Let's be honest, eating healthy is NOT cheap!  You can go to any fast food restaurant and get a burger off a dollar menu, but pay at least five dollars for a salad.  If you are on a budget, which selection are you going to choose?  I really don't think there is even a valid argument.  Cheap is usually going to win!  

Let's be real - Trader Joes, Whole Foods, Earth Fare and a few others are not cheap!  Period.  Point blank.  If you are talking about a family of four trying to eat healthy and stay on a budget, that's pretty difficult.  I buy for myself only and spend approximately one hundred dollars every two weeks just one groceries alone.  What do I get?  Fruits, veggies, seafood (because I only eat turkey meat unless I am food splurging), yogurt, juice, and some random things in between.  I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt when I was buying a bunch of junk, my bill was lower!  Howe come I can buy a normal size of Pringles for less than two dollars, but the same amount will only buy me two grapefruit?  I love avocados and they are a healthy fat!  So, how come it costs me just under five dollars for four of them, when I can go a few aisles over and buy a pack of Oreos for less than four dollars?

My point is, not everyone is making an excuse.  It's just real life for them!  Some people are victim to location.  If you are not in an urban area, you are not getting the trendy food stores and your grocery store selection is sometimes just one place.  You take it or leave it or you drive twenty miles out of ht way...if you are not interested in growing your own food.  

Can we just learn to be a bit more careful about what we say because we don't know the situation?  Can we stop making generalizations about a population just because of something we've seen done by a few people or what mass media tends to portray?  That's all I'm asking for and I really don't think I'm asking too much.  

Will I continue to follow them on Twitter?  Of course!  I hope even after seeing this post, they will continue to follow me.  However, if they don't, I will understand.  

What do you think about the tweet?  

Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment