Friday, October 14, 2016

Social Media Downfall

As a person, you are very careful about who you hang around with.  I know I am.  If someone is giving off negative vibes, you don't want to be around them or be bothered with them.  If someone is not friendly, you don't want to be around them.  If someone is constantly complaining instead of being thankful, I'm not going to be around them.  If someone manages to turn a rough few minutes into a rough day, I'm not going to be around that madness.  There are so many more examples, but I think you understand.  

Now, if you are running a business, building a brand, or just enjoying this entire blogging thing, you have to be very careful about who you work with!  It is important you have matching standards and that you find some common ground, other than making money (or just being popular).  Life happens and it has a tendency to come at you fast, but here is one thing that should never change - your moral compass.  

I had mentioned to my talent manager about a company I maybe wanted to work with.  You know, get some products and have them endorse a few posts about them.  I was excited and looking forward to reaching out to them, but I am also really good at doing my homework.  In this day an age, doing your homework means going to Google, social media, or both.  


Since I enjoy twitter so much, I decided to learn more about them via that media.  I set up the alerts so I wouldn't miss a single tweet - especially because I really wanted to work with them.  But the more they tweeted, the less enthused I got when it came to working with them.  

Due to me not wanting to shame them or put their business on blast, I'm not going to show you any of the tweets.  But, I will say this - if you are trying to build a business and build a brand, you need to be mindful of the language you use on your social media.  Let me just be honest, I've posted some questionable things and removed them after I thought about them.  Now, I'm pretty sure someone has them as a screenshot and could shut me all the way down, but at least I found my own error.  Well, let's not say error because if I'm just being honest with myself, it was a severe lack of judgment.  

Did I simply no longer want to work with this company because of the language they used?  Um, yes!  I have worked for years to calm my mouth.  My love can tell you that only when I am highly upset is when I let one slip.  Yes, I have used them in some of my blogs to get my point across.  But I can assure you out of almost 100 blog posts just this year alone, you would have to look very hard to even find 10 percent of my blogs where I have used any foul language.  In fact, in my almost 2000 total posts, I ask you to find 5 percent where I just start dropping F bombs and any other 4 letter expletives for absolutely no reason other than to sound cool.  

I'm so hurt because not only was I excited about buying their product, but I was also excited about reaching out to them.  Now, I don't want to do either.  I was actually looking for something new for this particular part of my makeup life (I'm trying really hard to not say even what it was because you might be able to tell if you dig on my page deep enough).  


Then, I have to be thankful that my talent manager is always looking closely at what I do.  We don't always see eye to eye, but I can tell you that she has never steered me in the direction of anything that would ruin what I am trying to accomplish and that is including those times she has even saved me from myself.  

Ladies and gentleman, if you are building any type of business and brand, you MUST be careful of what you put out in the wonderful world of cyberspace.  It can be found and even though you may have meant it one way, it can be taken another.  

I've worked hard for the first 3 years of just writing posts and trying to turn this blog into what I wanted it to be.  This has been 3 years of changes, meetings, interviews, and whatever else I had to do to make this blog grow.  And this year, well I think my posts speak for itself.  It's been hard getting this blog to where it is today.  I had to sit down and come up with a plan because I had determined that if I didn't make some changes, this blog wasn't going to exist.  I've worked hard to gain followers on all my social media sites, so I have to be careful about what I post.  Plus, since I am all about spreading positive vibes, how are you going to feel if I just start spewing negativity?  You are going to reconsider everything I've ever written and I wouldn't even be able to be mad at you for that because it would be my own fault.  

So, I've learned from this and I'm going to keep moving on and keep reaching out to people.  This is about learning, making my brand better, and evolving.  Here is to all of us growing and learning to make things work.  And be careful on social media - once it is out there, there is no turning back! 

Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment