Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Tis the season...

It never fails.  As soon as a bit of cold weather hits the air, one of the stupidest things I've ever seen hits social media.  It goes to the tune of better get you a big girl because it's getting cold or time for you to grab you a thick chick or my personal favorite (please note the sarcasm), big girl season is here!



Someone, please tell me what in the whole hell does the change of seasons have to do with me (or you for that matter) being a big girl, finally being able to have a date?  This is probably the dumbest thing I see floating around on social media this time of year.  Here is the part that annoys me the most though - most of the people posting this foolishness is people considered plus size.  If you fed into this madness and promote this madness, how exactly are you helping with the self-esteem of the next generation?  In fact, I'll even say those of you posting this craziness are actually negating the body positive stuff you feel so strongly about.  



We have to start loving ourselves 365 days a year - skinny or thick!  Seriously, this needs to start happening today.  I understand we all have our days , but come on!!!  All of you, no matter what size, are absolutely beautiful!  But, big girls, thick chicks, or whatever you want to be called, stop thinking that you are only designed to keep somebody warm during the chilly months!  That's what blankets and heaters are designed for.  Love yourself and know your worth.  If a guy comes up to you even remotely using that foolishness as a pick-up line, please have enough self-esteem to send him on his way!

Another thing, we've come so far!!!  When I was younger, plus-size clothes had me looking like I was wearing the same outfits as my mom.  I'm not her and I didn't wish to dress like her, but I was at the mercy of the designers.  Shoutout to the designers who are actually making an effort at plus-size fashion.  So, since our since of style has changed for the better, why can't our sense of self?  Ladies, the next generation is watching our every single move.  They see way more than we think they do and sometimes they see more than what we want them to - including this big girl season foolishness!  

Want to know what I think?  Well, I think I'm worthy of love all the days of the year, even if it is just me looking in the mirror and telling myself I love you.  If I don't love me, how can I expect someone else to love me and I don't just mean during the fall and winter?  Quite frankly, I'm fabulous all the time.  Call me conceited.  I'll gladly wear that banner.  But, I'm comfortable enough to know when I'm having a fat day and I can admit to it.  However, I'm never going to be fat enough to sit here and wait for someone to love me in the fall and winter.  That just not how I roll.  Again, this is not helping the body positive movement.  There is enough contradiction in the movement as it is, so why are some big girls adding to the contradiction?!  


Back to the next generation.  Shouldn't we be teaching them to respect themselves enough to know they are worthy of more than a six month relationship because of the change of season?  Also, we keep complaining about the men not respecting us - so, how is this really teaching any male of any generation to respect a woman?  This is how I see it - we're teaching them to love us certain times of year instead of teaching them to love a woman for what they are and not for what they look like.  Looks change, people.  If they didn't, we wouldn't be so concerned with trying to find the perfect combination of products to produce our version of the Fountain of Youth.  And just for the record, bodies change too.  

Beautiful thicker ladies, please stop telling yourself you don't deserve to be happy.  That is just absolute madness and I really want you to stop this.  Also, stop following up the foolishness!  If you see a photo that posts this stuff on social media, stop liking it and definitely stop reposting it.  It's not healthy!  How do I know this?  Because I spent years digging myself out of the big girls only get love during the cooler months hole.  It's not true.  It's just not true, ladies!  


By the way, skinny ladies, you are worthy of love more than the six months of the year it's hot (well, nine months in the south).  

I'm fully aware some of you posting this madness on your social media probably got mad at this post.  I'm cool with that.  In fact, I hope I touched a nerve and that you think twice before posting the madness again.  It's your social media and whatever image you want to show is your business.  I just hope the image you choose to post is positive.  

Photo credit: Key Foster via VisualHunt / CC BY 
Photo credit: kennethkonica via VisualHunt / CC BY-ND
Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment