Tuesday, November 15, 2016

(Y)ou (O)nly (G)ive (A)ll

I guess last night was a big night for me.  I had made up in my mind before I even went to work yesterday morning that I was going to work out.  Honestly, I had made up my mind Sunday what I was going to do because I had already prepared my living room.  However, it wasn't until yesterday morning that I had this idea.  

Let's go ahead and get this out of the way, I truly adore Jessamyn.  I don't know her personally, but I respect her photos and I truly respect her because she is so body positive when it comes to doing yoga.  I see her photos and to me, she is so brave to show off her plus yoga body.  In my eyes, she's crazy flexible and she is yoga goals, as far as I'm concerned.  

Well, yesterday, I decided to pick up yoga again!  I use an exclimation point because I'm really excited.  When I lived in Charlotte, I was practicing yoga three times a week.  It was just what I did and it had turned into a pretty awesome lifestyle.  Other than being flexible, I felt like I had a balance about myself and I had breathing techniques to fall back on anytime I felt stressed.  Keep in mind my stress level was different because I was working three part-time jobs and going to college full-time.  It was a fun, weird, and exciting time in my life, but yoga helped to keep me grounded and stable.  

I popped in my video and I started.  By the time I finished, I felt like I had been going for an hour, even though the TV class only lasted twenty minutes.  I was sore because I was using muscles that I hadn't for a very long time, but I also felt accomplished for two reasons.  The first one is simple - I started doing yoga again.  The next reason though...well, for me, it's a bit more complex.  

It's not secret this blog is about my life as a plus diva.  Even when I get down to the size I want to be, in the United States, I will still be considered plus.  Don't worry, this blog will never get to be called The Skinny Diaries or any variation there of.  I admit I still have body issues.  Believe me, it's no big secret.  I have my days where I feel perfect and then I have my days where I wish I was in another body.  That's just how life goes.  But yesterday, I took a GIANT step out of my comfort zone (and decided to continue with the trend today).  I decided to work out in my unmentionables.  For my 90s peeps who had the blessing of being able to watch Family Matters, you know what I mean.  But just so I can get everyone on the same page let me translate - I decided to work out in my underwear.  


Yep, I did yoga yesterday and I did another work out today in my boyshorts and a bra.  Actually, I enjoyed it.  I was in the comfort of my own home, so I could.  Plus, since I make an effort to look at myself to make sure I'm in the correct yoga position, it was actually quite helpful.  Now, don't expect to see any photos of me in my boyshorts and bra anytime soon (or maybe even ever), but just know that this is what I'm doing.  Why?  

The fact of the matter is, this is my body.  There's just a ltitle bit more of it than what people would like to see.  I have rolls, lumps, crevices, dimples, stretch marks, moles, and scars.  I have even been bold enough to describe myself as an elephant when I sit (which is why you hardly ever see photos of me sitting).  I know what I look like and an elephant is what I decided to go with.  So, since I already know what I look like and have to look at it every single day when I get out of the shower, why not be free in my own home?

I don't know, maybe I will reach my yoga goals and my workout goals and want to share with you on my Instagram.  But for right now, just take my word for it and maybe I'll keep doing this.  Hey, I'm supposed to give my all during workouts anyway, right?  

What do you do that you consider brave when it comes to your body?    

Photo credit: Andrew Kalat via Visual hunt / CC BY-ND 
Photo via Visualhunt 
Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment