Monday, December 26, 2016

Coming down from the high

The Christmas season is over.  Life can get back to normal and the credit card bills can start rolling in...and so can something else.  

It's no big secret this time of year has the highest suicide rates.  I saw a commercial earlier today and it was talking about how people are just unhappy with the start of the new year.  I overheard someone say they should just be happy they survived the past year.  It was then I realized it was best to keep my mouth shut because the fact of the matter is that some people just barely survived this year and really didn't get a chance to live it and enjoy it.  

Depression is real.  Anxiety is real.  Life is real!!!  We all handle it different ways and I salute those of you who can wake up every single morning and feel like today is going to be the best day or your life no matter what happens or what you see.  Now, I pride myself on being positive and putting a positive spin on everything, but that does NOT mean that I do not get down in the dumps for at least 5 minutes during my day.  On the other hand, I also have things that can help me come out of my funky mood.  

This is the time of year where some people measure their worth by the amount of presents they get.  That's not me, but some people are on that path.  Could you imagine being one of those people and only getting one gift?  Honestly, that could send him or her over the edge and the rest of us are left here wondering what happened.  This is also the time of year where family will hold in everything they have been wanting to say over the past 11 months and spill it at the lunch table, just to embarrass you and make you feel inadequate.  Yep, just another thing to set some people off but next year the family asks why aren't you spending the holidays with us this year.  

This season is supposed to be about helping each other and loving each other - even strangers.  I went on a walk at the resort I'm staying at right now and even though I was deep in my music, I was always in the place of mind to smile at everyone I passed on the trail.  You don't know what type of day (or days) they have had with their families (or without) and a simple smile can change someone's entire moment!  Every person I passed, I simply couldn't pass them by without at least nodding my head or saying hello.  However, that is also something called common courtesy - try it sometimes.  


I need a favor from you.  For the rest of 2016, give someone a smile.  If you are not feeling up to it (and believe me, I understand those days), wait for someone to give you a smile.  Trust me, it's coming and you are not going to be able to help but to smile back.  Spread some happiness and love for the rest of the year and when 2017 starts, you won't be able to help but start the year off right.  Stay happy people and enjoy these last few days of the year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment