Sunday, January 8, 2017

Book Review - Inflection

When I go to the bookstore (yes, I still like to go to those), I don't like to be bothered.  I know the associates have to do their jobs and come check on me, but other than that, I don't talk.  I like to walk the aisles and figure out what I'm looking for.  I don't have a rhyme or reason, I just like to walk until something catches my attention - cover art, a title, a book that has recently been pulled out and not back fully in its proper location - and then I start reading the back cover.  If the author can get my attention without me even opening the book, it's worth the try, right?  That's how my typical trip to the bookstore goes and it can last anywhere from 10 minutes to over an hour.  

The last book I completed, it totally didn't happen like this.  I got into a conversation with someone about this blog and my love for writing and that I hoped to have a book out one day.  This person told me, "I've written a book".  Of course, I wanted to know about the process of him getting his book out, but I also wanted to know about the process of how it was written.  This is when the story takes an interesting turn because he thought it was just best I read the book.  Not really what I asked for, but once I started reading, I realize this was exactly what I needed.  

While I was on vacation in early November, I decided to break out this book.  I had only bought it a couple of weeks before and it was small enough to get through, with plenty of days to spare.  I was caught off guard by the title, but once I got into the book, I began to understand.  

Inflection is a book by Kevin Gantt that will give you some things to think about.  From the start, Gantt gives you his definition of inflection and from there, the rest of the book just flows.  It's not like a book I've ever read before.  This is the first time I've read a book that was not only a story, but gave deep insight to the inner most feelings of the person through their poetry.  Yep, there is also some beautiful poetry in this book to help all the pieces fall together.  But that isn't my favorite part of the book.  

My favorite part of the book was its purpose.  In my opinion, the purpose of this book is to uplift, inspire, and let you know that life is not over...even when it feels like it is.  Without telling too much of his personal business, Gantt is able to let you into a dark spot he had to go through in order to come to the light.  However, as he takes you step by step, you also get the chance to journey along with him for a beautiful comeback.  

I would argue there is not really a plot.  The only thing that progresses is Gantt's strength.  That''s really all that's important in this particular book - you see the author get better and better, even though the walls around him seem to keep crashing.  

Once complete, you have the opportunity to complete a guide.  However, I highly advise taking notes in the book (if that is what you like to do).  My book has notes and highlights because there was so much that just made me say wow, even though there are a few spots that made me say ouch.  

So, if you are looking for a short, but powerful book to read, I highly recommend Inception by Kevin Gantt.  It's the perfect book to start off the new year.  I promise, you will not regret opening up this cover!  

Note:  Please don't worry, I'm already in talks with Mr. Gantt about doing an interview! I hope you get to hear from him soon!  

No comments:

Post a Comment