Friday, March 3, 2017

Got it!

"WE don't get through things for ourselves.  WE go through things in order to be able to help other people.

The older I've grown, there are a few things I've been able to understand in life.  Honestly, I get why Britney shaved her head.  That's not a dig at her, believe me.  I suffer from anxiety and been at depression's door.  I get it - for real.  I understand better some of the things my parentals tried to tell me when I was younger because I'm not living it.  But the one thing I appreciate most is finally understanding what the sentence I started with means.  

When I lived in Charlotte, NC, I was placed at a job that allowed me to be in the presence of a wonderful woman who would turn into my mentor.  After I told her a bit of my story and kept getting to know her, she eventually told me the opening statement to this post.  

I didn't get it.  It was just words that had no meaning, other than trying to make me feel better in the moment.  But as I sit here and write this post, I can tell you without a doubt - I get it!  


Earlier this week, I had the pleasure of having dinner with someone I have grown to call a good friend.  She has posed a question to me through text and the answer I wanted to give her couldn't fit in a text.  As we ate and laughed and we got to the reason we knew we were both there, it became so evident that my story could help her.  

As I explained the pieces to her, I heard my mentor say that thing I started off with in this post.  I heard her as if she was sitting there at the table with us breaking bread.  And it was at that moment, I understood in a clarity I have never understood before.  

If you would have told me that what happened in 2011 could possibly help someone in 2017, I would have laughed.  Not because I didn't want to believe, but because we never know what the future is going to hold.  But even in those uncertain time, it is important for use to keep one thing in mind - the process isn't for us.  

The process is our journey.  It's the book we're writing.  It's the experience we are living.  Eventually, it's the wisdom we're going to be able to share.  For that, I'm happy and feel a lot better knowing that this madness will not be in vain.  

No comments:

Post a Comment